Reports suddenly broken in Libreoffice 4.1.3.2

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
DRBain

Reports suddenly broken in Libreoffice 4.1.3.2

Post by DRBain »

Can someone explain to me what has happened? In several databases, all my Reports have suddenly become inaccessible, whether to open or edit.
Each time I try I get the message "The document xxxxyz could not be opened".
Tables and queries seem to be working normally as before.
What can I do to retrieve them?
Doug
LibreOffice 4.2.4.2
Linux Mint Debian Update 8
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Reports suddenly broken in Libreoffice 4.1.3.2

Post by Villeroy »

Open your last working backup of the odb file and the broken one. Drag the report icons from one window into the other or copy&paste the report icons.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
DRBain

Post by DRBain »

Thanks for your suggestion, it gave me a clue how to proceed.
I tried looking at backed-up odbs - they got the same error message.
I then looked at them (and a copy of the current odbs) on another machine running the same version of libreoffice - the reports opened normally: there was obviously something wrong with this libreoffice base itself.
I tried uninstalling and re-installing base without making any difference and then libreoffice - ditto.
Finally I removed libreoffice totally including configuration files and installed a new updated version (4.2.4). The reports now work OK.
So the problem hasn't been resolved but it's been by-passed.
Thanks for your help.
Doug
LibreOffice 4.2.4.2
Linux Mint Debian Update 8
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

I think when you work with Libreoffice then use always a higher version of libreoffice then 1. I mean not Libreoffice 4.1 but better is Libreoffice 4.2. I use always the stable version of openSUSE. What is the difference between the stable version and the not stable version is not so clear to me but I have little problems.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
Tom6

Post by Tom6 »

Hi :)
Right idea but wrong digit.

LibreOffice has 3 (or more) digits in it's version numbers. The first 2 digits (ie the 4.2.x or 4.1.x or whatever) indicate how advanced and how much functionality and new stuff has been added. They are roughly the equivalent of Microsquish's route of saying "MS Office 2007" or "MS Office 2010" or whatever. It's the branch number/name.

That 3rd digit (the x.x.3 or x.x.5 or whatever) shows how many "Service Packs" (updates, patches, bug-fixes and general "smoothing out" etc) have been added to the branch.

Many people, companies and organisations have a policy of never installing any MS product until after MS have released their "Service Pack 1" for the appropriate program. Once MS cunningly said their new product "includes Sp1" but that suffered the usual problem and then the slight disaster of Xp's Sp1 made a lot of companies alter their policy to only install after "Service Pack 2".

In much the same way LibreOffice is usually considered "stable" only after x.x.3 but many people don't install a new branch until at least x.x.4 and tend to stick with a previous branch's x.x.6 or x.x.7 on "production machines" or on machines used by non-geeks or by MS-fanboys/girls.

It is a good idea to have at least 1 machine on a newer branch asap so that any problems you notice are likely to attract more attention if you post a bug-report. That way the problem is often fixed in subsequent releases in the same branch. It is possible to have 2 versions of LibreOffice or to have LibreOffice alongside OpenOffice but it's not as straight-forwards as having AOO/LO alongside MS Office because AOO and LO still have a LOT in common "under the bonnet". I tend to keep all my colleagues on the 'ancient' 3.5.7 but on my own machines i'm on 4.2.3 (the first "stable" one in the 4.2.x branch) and am looking forwards to installing the 4.3.0 as soon as it appears (if i can find time). I've not needed to upgrade from 4.2.3 to 4.2.5 because i'm really not THAT keen on upgrading unless i run into trouble or unless there has been a security issue. Security issues almost never happens with AOO or LO so almost all upgrades are about functionality rather than security = the opposite way around from MS Office! :)

Most people find even the fist release in a branch to be more than stable enough. I've never had a problem or found anything worth posting a bug-report about but i seldom use advanced features even when doing my company's newsletter with all it's fancy frills.

Another good route is to try newer branch's but when/if, as in this case, you run into the slightest problem then just go back to a later release in an earlier branch or push on to a later release in the same branch.

So, RPG kinda got it right except that it's not the 2nd digit that indicates "stability" but is the 3rd digit instead. The 4th digit might have fixed problems in the more popular modules such as Writer or Calc but Base doesn't have so many hundreds of devs working on it!

So, for this thread i would try the 4.2.5 or/and the 4.0.6 as either version is likely to have fixed the problem. If i was a betting man i might bet that the 4.0.6 is the best one but i would want to try the more recent 4.2.5 jic.

I hope this helps!!
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)
Tom
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 & Ubuntu 10.10