Sum in Report ODBC to MySQL

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
kens

Sum in Report ODBC to MySQL

Post by kens »

Hi, I have a table in MySQL which has, among other things, cost and date columns. I have used ODBC to connect OOo Base to the database.

I'd like to generate a report with summary totals by month. The cost field is of type FLOAT.

I have installed the report builder and followed directions to insert a text box into the report, that is sorted by the Extension data field, with a =AccumulationCost[Extension] entry in the box.

What I get is almost, but not exactly twice, the expected result.

If I capture the same data in a spreadsheet and import that into a OOo Base database with its native filesystem database I get the right answers.

Is this an ODBC 'feature'

I'm currently wrestling with getting jdbc working to see if that is any better.

This is really stretching my patience with OOo Base....

:evil:

Ken
OOo 3.3 on FC14
kens

Re: Sum in Report ODBC to MySQL

Post by kens »

OK got it working via JDBC as well.

Similarly the results of the sums have more to do with fiction than reality.

I have a strong commitment to Open Source software but I have to say this is bordering on "User Aggressive"

I think I'll run SQL queries directly on the database to get some sensible numbers.

Very dissapointing

:-(

Ken
OOo 3.3 on FC14
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Sum in Report ODBC to MySQL

Post by r4zoli »

Base UI, and report builder designed with HSQLDB syntax, which is a built-in database, which has different dialect in SQL than MySQL if you find it not working with some case, caused by different SQL implementation, is usual. As you find, use SQL direct mode where you can use server specific settings.
You will not find opensource and paid tools which works same, in different SQL implementations. You needs to find a tools which fit to your goals.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin