[Solved] Report will not open

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
logiflow

[Solved] Report will not open

Post by logiflow »

I have been using Base for a few years. Getting a report formatted is the most difficult task I have encountered. After using a report I labeled "BooksRead2" for a couple of years, my last attempt to print it (after adding about 10 more records) gives me the warning box stating "The document 'BooksRead2' could not be opened". My back-up file opens the report, and the Queries window works fine.
My table has 635 records with 6 columns in each record, and each record is printed in less than 7.5 inches on the paper.
Is there any to recover the report format from my backup file without losing the new data in the table? Is there any way to save the report format separate from the data?
Last edited by logiflow on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm using OOO330m20(Build:9567), running on Windows XP Home ver 2002 Service Pack 3 on an AMD Athlon at 1.66Ghz with 1.12GB of RAM.
Sliderule
Volunteer

Re: Report will not open

Post by Sliderule »

You said:
My back-up file opens the report, and the Queries window works fine.
If it were me ( infamous last words ;) ), what I would do is
  1. Open BOTH, your 'backup' and the 'current' OpenOffice Base files concurrently
  2. Click on Reports in both
  3. From your 'backup' file, drag the report to the 'current' file, it will prompt you for a name
  4. Enter a NEW name for this report, perhaps, the same as the OLD one but append an _02 ( this is just to make sure the working report has a unique name )
  5. In the 'current' file, run the NEW report to confirm it works
  6. Save the 'current' file . . . as is
  7. Delete the BAD report file in the 'current' file
  8. Right click on the NEW report . . . and . . . rename it back to your 'original' name
  9. Run it, just to make sure it works as needed
  10. Save the 'current' file
  11. Smile, ands say, "Gee Sliderule, that was easy, thanks."
I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your 1st post Subject (edit button top right) if this issue has been resolved.
logiflow

Re: [SOLVED]Report will not open

Post by logiflow »

Gee Sliderule, that was easy, thanks. It appears that objects which don't show up as a file can be moved in the application itself. Good news! Thanks again.
I'm using OOO330m20(Build:9567), running on Windows XP Home ver 2002 Service Pack 3 on an AMD Athlon at 1.66Ghz with 1.12GB of RAM.