How to recover from a report builder crash?

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
bs27975

How to recover from a report builder crash?

Post by bs27975 »

Every time Report Builder crashes (win 7, 3.2.1 ooo, 1.2.1 orb), it takes out not only the report I'm working on, but every other rb report in the database.

This is intolerable.

After a crash or killing base, the recovery attempt is made, but the resulting reports are blank forms (looking much like report wizard output).

How can the reports be recovered to point of last save?

- using save as doesn't help, it takes out all rb reports.
- removing and reinstalling rb doesn't help.

How can the rb be used if a crash is going to take out all your work to date, including prior reports made?

How can I recover the reports after an rb crash?

A repeatable example, I believe ...

- start a report and put in an invalid entry into a property. e.g. One such as it won't let you do anything until you correct or clear the field.
- hit execute report.

GONE!

e.g. Typically you think you've typed things in correctly, hit execute report, and it freezes.
OpenOffice 3.3.1 on Windows
therabi
Volunteer

Re: HOW TO RECOVER FROM A REPORT BUILDER CRASH?

Post by therabi »

You may have better luck on the extensions page. There should be a link to the developer on there that you can use to contact them.
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: How to recover from a report builder crash?

Post by r4zoli »

bs27975 wrote:Every time Report Builder crashes (win 7, 3.2.1 ooo, 1.2.1 orb), it takes out not only the report I'm working on, but every other rb report in the database.

This is intolerable.
I agree with you.
But he deleting existing reports, is is not happened with me, never.

When you create report and save it, save file after immediately. This will create a good start if report cause OOo to crash.
Forget OOo 3.2.1.
Download latest 3.3RC win version will be uploaded within this week, and it seems to me will be a final RC, which will be the 3.3.

bs27975 wrote:After a crash or killing base, the recovery attempt is made, but the resulting reports are blank forms (looking much like report wizard output).
No way to recover.

bs27975 wrote:A repeatable example, I believe ...
If you can upload here, if it contain sensitive data - remove it. If it bigger than 128Kb send me a PM, I will give my email, and send me, or issue a bug and attach to it.

If I found error with OOo 3.3 I will submit an issue.

One question remained, your win7 is 64 or 32bit version?

Edit: download newer report builder from extension site, uploaded 14 December 2010.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
bs27975

Post by bs27975 »

r4zoli wrote:
bs27975 wrote:Every time Report Builder crashes (win 7, 3.2.1 ooo, 1.2.1 orb), it takes out not only the report I'm working on, but every other rb report in the database.
This is intolerable.
I agree with you.
But the deleting of existing reports has never happened with me, never.
Guess I didn't say that very well. The 'file' within Base is there. However, opening it brings up writer and a blank form. Neither recovery nor extension reinstallation recovers the ability to interpret that form as an rb report. Best way I can think of to say it - it's like the mime type of the contents has changed and nothing knows how to interpret it, or, that mime type's interpreter is no longer present, and un/reinstall of extension does not restore it. However, one can start a new report. I'm assuming, then, that file (or index) corruption has occurred.
r4zoli wrote:When you create report and save it, save file after immediately. This will create a good start if report cause OOo to crash.
Like I said, this is not true. Saving a report makes another entry into the single file, and the file itself gets corrupted. I can even toggle saving back and forth (save as this time to Report1, 5 minutes later to Report2, 5 minutes later back to Report1) - and both files are corrupted upon crash and recovery.
r4zoli wrote:Forget OOo 3.2.1.
Download latest 3.3RC win version will be uploaded within this week, and it seems to me will be a final RC, which will be the 3.3.
Guess I'll give that a try. Like I have a choice?
r4zoli wrote:
bs27975 wrote:After a crash or killing base, the recovery attempt is made, but the resulting reports are blank forms (looking much like report wizard output).
No way to recover.
r4zoli wrote:
bs27975 wrote:A repeatable example, I believe ...
If you can upload here, if it contain sensitive data - remove it. If it bigger than 128Kb send me a PM, I will give my email, and send me, or issue a bug and attach to it.
Remember - spreadsheet link. Thus, little sensitive data in it.
r4zoli wrote:If I found error with OOo 3.3 I will submit an issue.
One question remained, your win7 is 64 or 32bit version?
Sorry, should have said, 32-bit. Asus 1201n laptop, 4GB memory.
r4zoli wrote:Edit: download newer report builder from extension site, uploaded 14 December 2010.
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

You can open report in edit mode?
Your report based on table (which is connected to Calc file), query or SQL command?
Can edit the datasource of report?

Could you create an example file, which is behave same as your trouble making file?
Hungarian forum co-admin
bs27975

Post by bs27975 »

r4zoli wrote:You can open report in edit mode?
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear, again. What I've described IS what happens when I try to edit. It opens up to a blank form a la report wizard. Will try to observe better when it happens again. My attitude to date has been the fields are gone , and I walk away, very upset. (The data source being easy to reconnect - woe that that isn't the only thing wrong.)
r4zoli wrote:Your report based on table (which is connected to Calc file), query or SQL command?
Can edit the datasource of report?
Base is connected to calc file, report can be query or sql.
r4zoli wrote:Could you create an example file, which is behave same as your trouble making file?
Will try to keep this in mind, next time it happens. It's a struggle when it does to not throw the computer through the window and to not go hang myself.

I really do think what I'm experiencing has something to do with an error dialogue box coming up, or a refusal by the builder to leave the current field until blanked or correct information put in. Or, that's what would happen if I didn't just hit execute report. Haven't seen a repeat since last night, but then I've been clicking elsewhere before clicking execute report - so haven't seen it since to tell you more.
bs27975

Post by bs27975 »

OK, it just crashed and restarted again. Fortunately, this time, I didn't lose the reports - so everything opens up as expected. Thanks, I expect, to your heads up that a new extension had been posted yesterday.

As expected, crash happened when changing field, and change not accepted.

I have 4 fields in a report footer:
DataField TextField
DataField TextField

Around them is a drawn rounded-corner rectangle.

I move the text field up .1 inches via the Position Y properties field - up comes dialog box saying can't move, and before I can click ok to acknowledge it, crash.

Report Builder isn't smart enough to know the control is in the background, and thinks the attempted field move interferes with what space it thinks the rectangle is covering.
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

Overlapping controls not allowed in report builder, see issue
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=96942
Now it cause crash.
Hungarian forum co-admin
bs27975

Post by bs27975 »

r4zoli wrote:Overlapping controls not allowed in report builder, see issue
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=96942
Now it cause crash.
Of course they are allowed.

Otherwise, why have the ability to draw on the form, and send things forwards / backwards.

But I take your point - you can use the overlapping, but if not careful, she gonna blow up!

My only point was to provide an example of the manner of the failure I've been running in to.

[Sure is annoying to repeatedly get answers of "Yep, that's a known bug." Especially while still in the throes of having been bitten by it. I understand it's all that anyone can say, but it sure is annoying.]
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

No. Controls overlapping not allowed in report, the shapes not controls. The form is an other thing.
Hungarian forum co-admin
bs27975

Post by bs27975 »

Ah. Good clarification. But then 'Overlapping controls not allowed' is better said as bug: controls can't overlap shapes (but shapes can overlap controls).

Still annoying to smack into. (Which is why they call them 'bugs', I suppose.)
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

No. Shapes is OOo common feature which you can use in Writer, Draw, Impress, Calc, Charts, and particularly in reports.
These shapes hase common features in all applications, same way.
Report controls works only within report builder, the a distinct things, which cannot overlap each other.
This is a feature not bug. Why do you think it is bug?

You can use Shape local menu Arrange>Send to Back until all control in front of shape, the you can move them arrange easily.
Hungarian forum co-admin
bs27975

Post by bs27975 »

You are misreading. I didn't say shapes overlapping is a bug, I said moving a control while overlapping a shape causing a crash is a bug, as per your link. (And it was annoying to run in to.)