[Solved] Spreadsheet output column widths

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
dive

[Solved] Spreadsheet output column widths

Post by dive »

I have a lot of fields to output in a landscape oriented spreadsheet. It doesn't seem possible to resize in the design view to get them appropriate sizes for the output so the spreadsheet columns are all tiny.

Is there a way around this?
Last edited by dive on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.1.0
Slackware Linux 13.0 :-)
billiam1185

Re: Spreadsheet output column widths

Post by billiam1185 »

Hi. I don't quite understand your problem.

If your question is how do I get it so that all of my text fits perfectly in a column without any extra white space, then the solution is to right click on the column label at the top (for instance, the gray area where it says "H"). Choose Optimal Column width.

Does this answer your question? If not, please clarify!
OOo 3.0 Windows Vista
dive

Post by dive »

No, the problem is that the output column widths are too narrow and cut the text off. I can't do anything to the generated spreadsheet because it's read only.
OOo 3.1.0
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Register your database and create a new spreadsheet.
Drag the table or query from the datasource window's left pane onto a cell.
menu:Data>Define... [More Options] Check options "Keep formatting" and "Insert/Remove cells.
Format the imported columns to your liking (with word-wrapping in long cells ?).
Store the spreadsheet somewhere with write access.
Data>Refresh refreshes the import range.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
dive

Post by dive »

I'm not sure if that will work since the report is generated from a search query. I wouldn't be able generate a new search->spreadsheet without going through all those options each time I enter a new search?

I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can for my users. There is a form with a search box/button and then some buttons to build a report to keep it simple.
OOo 3.1.0
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Create a parameter query. In SQL-view this would look like:

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM "YourTable" WHERE ("Amount">=:Minimum)AND("Amount"<=:Maximum)
The GUI will prompt you for a minimum and a maximum value every time you run the query for a spreadsheet import, a database report or anything else.
A query form on a spreadsheet based on a parameter query: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 427#p96427

Data pilots (aka pivot tables) provide another extremely powerful too for database reporting. They can be filtered by means of filters and page fields (list boxes).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
dive

Post by dive »

Well I solved this by resizing everything in sun report builder. Make the page width 66 inches or so to get there.
OOo 3.1.0