[Solved] Change sort order of report?

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
Kim

[Solved] Change sort order of report?

Post by Kim »

Hi all,

I'm using NeoOffice 2.2.2 (based on OOo 2.2.1)

I have used the built in Report wizard (not the OpenOffice report extension) to generate a report. I then used Design View to customize the appearance of the Report, however I now want to change the sort order (eg. sort alphabetically by column "Manufacturer").

Is there a way I can do this to the Report I have created, or will I need to go through the Report wizard again - then re-do all the customization in Design View?

Cheers,
Kim
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Change sort order of report?

Post by DrewJensen »

Open the report in design mode.

View the toolbar Forum Design

Click on Form Navigator on this tool bar

You will see a number of hidden fields, one of which is named Command. Right click and select properties.

This is the actual SQL statement and at the end is the ORDER BY clause with the sequence of field names to sort on.

Be careful when you alter this, of course.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
Kim

Re: Change sort order of report?

Post by Kim »

Excellent - thanks Drew - that has done the trick :)

Cheers,
Kim
musicstave

Re: [Solved] Change sort order of report?

Post by musicstave »

Hi Drew,
Below I wrote the following as Im having an issue with creating a new report. No luck. I even tried on my Windows computer. Same problem.

I did find the above post. I tried to find the command field but no luck. I'm using 4.1.1. Help.....

Many thanks

Musicstave

Hi there,

I spent the last two hours attempting to create a new report to an existing base programme created about 4 years ago. It still works and presently has 3 reports, that were created when I created the database. I used the wizard, I believe successfully, however the report does not generate, just the headings and the preset text (so not so successfully). I looked around at some YT videos followed the instructions but still nothing changed. I tried downloading the oracle-report-builder but it crashed my OpenOffice. :crazy:

In a last ditched effort I attempted to copy and past one of the existing reports, but for the life of me I was unable to workout how to change the sorting order. One of the help topics I found suggested going to Navigator (F5) and look for command......I have no hair left because I couldn't find it. :roll:

I think i need a picture step by step to find it.......my brain is hurting :knock:

Is it possibly the old base project is the issue, which I have been using over the years and works fine with each update of OpenOffice, is there an add-on I need to upload to the software (think the oracle-report-builder may be out of date) , or do I need a new pair of glasses?

Help.......goodnight

Many thanks
Musicstave

Open Office 4.1.1 MacBook Pro Mid 2010 OSX 10.10.3
Many thanks
Musicstave

Open Office 4.1.1 MacBook Pro Mid 2010 OSX 10.10.3
longi

Re: [Solved] Change sort order of report?

Post by longi »

I'm not sure what is your problem. The report wizard works correctly to create a new report (in an old fashioned way). Normally people claim because the wizard is not a very useful tool. However you can change lots of things by macros.
There is a bug related with the order of data if you use a query from more than one table as data source. However, if you use the SQL code from the very same query as data source you'll get the correct order.
This topic was seen in this thread: [Issue] What could cause wizard doesn't hook up to data Attachment(s).You can search in this forum and find it.
Bye!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
LibreOffice 5.1 on Windows 7
LibreOffice 6.0.1 on Windows10