[Solved] Are old documents overwritten with new version

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
jaleks

[Solved] Are old documents overwritten with new version

Post by jaleks »

If a database is built with OOo 2.30 and then 2.3.1 is downloaded and installed using GUI, does the
older version report document contain printer problems inherent in 2.3.0, or do the printing controls in 2.3.1
over ride that portion of the program?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as solved.
Hagar Delest

Re: Are old documents overwritten with new version

Post by Hagar Delest »

I'm not sure I understand your issue. You mean that you've problems due to printer settings in the documents (.odt) made from a Base report ?
Printer settings are embedded in the OOo files so a newer version will have the same behavior. Can you give us more details ?

NB: thanks to provide your exact configuration (see the Survival guide top of the index). I move your thread from the Linux forum to the Base section.

BTW, could it be the same issue as that one : Reports not Printing ?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jaleks

Post by jaleks »

Thanks for the response. No, it isn't the same problem. I was wondering if installing a new version would overwrite the data that had been
put into a database of another (earlier)version of OpenOffice.org Base. However, I solved that problem by making a copy of the database,
putting it on another computer, then installing the newer version in the other computer to see what would happen. It makes no difference
apparently, to the data, for it was all ok after installing the newer version. Sorry I didn't get to you earlier. I have been having problems with
the resolution of a Windows version of OOo.base and have spent, so far, nearly 16 hours looking for the problem. I have tried all resolution
settings in Control Panel, reduced the number of pixels, etc.. When the program is in the edit mode, all the blanks of the form are on the screen
and easy to read. When the program is in "user" mode, the blanks for inserting data are off the screen. It occurs only with the Windows version,
on the same computer, same video card, as the Linux version. I'm at a loss as to how to make the Windows version look proper. I am trying to
build a base for a library/genealogic society and several of us are over 70 years old. I will keep looking for the solution, or try to get them to
change to the Linux system. Thanks again for your response. Jim
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

A newer version of a software should not induce backward compatibility issues. So it's normal behavior to leave the data as they were.

I tag that thread as solved, don't hesitate to create another one for your display issue.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10