[Solved] NO access to JAVA in Chrome

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
camnaval

[Solved] NO access to JAVA in Chrome

Post by camnaval »

I am new at using Base, therefore I started by reading the guide for this program, prepared by you, i.e. Apache OpenOffice.
Right in the 1st page of these instructions there is a clear picture of the fact that Base does extensive use of JAVA.
On the other hand, Chrome indicates that it has stopped access to JAVA´s NPAPI plug-in, a vital connection to BASE.
All my programs - including all other parts of OpenOffice - are running smoothly in Chrome.
Do I have to use another browser just to run BASE on it?
Is there a way to solve - or circumvent - this problem?
Looking forward to hear from you.
/////////////////////////////// CAM, StaFe, RA - 210126 1700 Hrs ART/
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: NO access to JAVA in Chrome

Post by Villeroy »

Do yourself a favour and install LibreOffice.
https://libreoffice/download
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

camnaval wrote:.
Right in the 1st page of these instructions there is a clear picture of the fact that Base does extensive use of JAVA.
We should look more closely. Base does not really need Java. I have for example external SQLite-Files connected through odbc-driver. No need for java here.

But Base also have a embedded Database, where you can include the data in the odb-File. And this hsql-db is written in Java. If you use it, you have to install and use java.

Also Open/LibreOffice supports extensions in several languages. Some assistants and especially the report-generator uses Java. So if you need this partsyou need java.

I guess one of the ideas behind the planned switch to firebird-databade is getting rid of java, but this is a long way for LibreOffice...

J.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

camnaval wrote:.
On the other hand, Chrome indicates that it has stopped access to JAVA´s NPAPI plug-in, a vital connection to BASE.
All my programs - including all other parts of OpenOffice - are running smoothly in Chrome.
Do I have to use another browser just to run BASE on it?
Is there a way to solve - or circumvent - this problem?
You run calc/writer etc inside your browser??
Do you use Chrome OS or an online-Office like Collabora?

And just because Chrome don't use java, this won't prevent any other program to use it. Even if Chrome OS would refuse to install java, it could be delivered as linked component...

For the moment I don't understand your problem with chrome.

J.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Indeed, Base can be useful without a single byte of Java being installed on the system as long as you connect to a non-Java database and as long as you do not need any reports or use normal office documents for reporting. However, for a beginner following the tutorials, Java is vital.

LibreOffice for 64-bit Windows supports any 64-bit Java from Oracle or openjdk. LibreOffice comes with the report builder pre-installed and LibreOffice simply works with Windows 10 whereas OpenOffice seems to have dozends of problems regarding security options, antivirus, Java and rather unspecific stability problems. OpenOffice is dead, particularly on the Windows platform.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
camnaval

Post by camnaval »

Thank you for your prompt reply, Mr Villeroy.
As you said, Base is dead when it comes to Open Office in Chrome.
I will try my hand with Libre Office, on which I have no experience. I hope files in Open and Libre are freely interchangeable.
If it works that way I will attempt to bring all my files in Open over to Libre Office, but I will have to take it easy and see how it goes with Base.
I hope I will be in touch with you after the experiment.
Best regards,
camnaval.
/////////////////////////// StaFe, RA, 210126 2200 Hr ART/
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I started by reading the guide for this program, prepared by you, i.e. Apache OpenOffice.
Please note that 'we' are not Apache OpenOffice; like you, we are only users of the software. All who provide support here are volunteers and have no affiliation with the software providers.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers