Report Builder does nothing?

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
hman2

Report Builder does nothing?

Post by hman2 »

Hi,

I wanted to edit the query that is underlying my DB report. In another thread (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=81453) it was recommended to me, that since I use OO, I would have to add the Oracle Report Builder, because in OO, in contrast to LO, that is not built-in.

So I downloaded version 1.21, which is rather old, but I was assured that despite being over a decade older than my OO 4.17 (64 bit, installed from the Debian .deb file) it would be compatible. But after I installed it, it was displayed as installed in the Extension manager, but still I cannot see any GUI from it, particularly not the "Report Navigator" that I was instructed to use to edit the query. I only have the normal Navigator, which doesn't handle queries.

I then checked all the presets and preferences and found none that seemed to oppose (Java was not activated, but activating it changed nothing), so at the moment I am at a loss. Is it just incompatible or is some other action besides installation through the Extensions Manager necessary?

Thanks
hman2

P.S.: So far I haven't migrated to 4.18, but will do so over this weekend.
OpenOffice 4.18 on Linux Mint 18
RPG
Volunteer

Re: Report Builder does nothing?

Post by RPG »

I have :
OpenSuse 64 bit
ApacheOffice 4.2.0 version 64 bits test version
Oracle report builder 1.2.1
and it seems to work when I make a little test with a database working in LibreOffice HSQLDB 2.3.

Also the report maked in ApacheOffice 4.2.0 does work in LIbreOffice 6.4.5.2

Reports maked in a recent version of LibreOffice do not work in ApacheOffice 4.2.0
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
hman2

Post by hman2 »

I have finished migrating to 4.18, and I did not have to reinstall the Oracle Report Builder, it was there right after installing 4.18.

But still, I do not see any sign of its presence, it only shows in the Extensions Manager, but not when editing a report. The report was built from scratch on 4.17 with the built-in wizard. I have spend hours to correctly format the report (the graphical layout), but when I was finished I saw I left out another sort option. So looking at the amount of work that went into it, re-building it with the corrected query is not an option...

Could it be an incompatibility with my localized (German) version of OO?
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

RPG wrote:Could it be an incompatibility with my localized (German) version of OO?
NO
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

When the extension is installed and active, any new report will be created by this tool. Old style reports based on Writer tables can be opened but not created anymore. Therefore, you do not find any button or menu entry.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
hman2

Post by hman2 »

Thanks. Well, then, how do I edit my report? I only have to add a third criterion for sorting in the query, that's all I need to do. The OP in viewtopic.php?f=13&t=81453 has succeeded to edit his/her report, but that is LO, not OO.
hman2

Post by hman2 »

Side note: The wizard for creating a report is still in there...
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

hman2 wrote:Side note: The wizard for creating a report is still in there...
But creates a new style report. The result report is not a part of the databasedocument.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

hman2 wrote:Thanks. Well, then, how do I edit my report? I only have to add a third criterion for sorting in the query, that's all I need to do. The OP in viewtopic.php?f=13&t=81453 has succeeded to edit his/her report, but that is LO, not OO.
Edit an old style report? Deactivate the extension and restart. I'd rather create a new report.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
hman2

Post by hman2 »

My problem was solved by entering the "Forms Navigator" that is avaiable on the Forms Edit toolbar. In there, under Report Source there is a Key "Command" that carries the SQL command that delivers the query, consisting of a SELECT and an ORDER clause. The order clause could be expanded by adding a third parameter. In ReportSource, there is also a Key Sorting that looks like it would contain a sorting paradigm, but although it looks right, it doesn't do anything. All is done via the ORDER clause of the SELECT. While this is not a solution for everybody, especially not for beginners, but for people like me with some SQL knowledge this becomes solvable. So I still haven't seen Report Builder doing anything, but I could fix my "oldstyle" report without erasing all my layout work. The next interesting thing could be to find out whether it is possible to extract all the layout stuff and apply it to a "newstyle" report without redoing everything...
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »