Connecting Query to report

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
JonS

Connecting Query to report

Post by JonS »

I have used OO in the past, but have only recently started to use BASE for my own use. I created my DB from a spreadsheet which worked well and imported about 5,800 records. It is a single table DB. The problem I am having is that I have a couple of queries that work just fine but when I create a report definition (no grouping) the report does not work. Must I have a grouping for the report to work?
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on MacOS 10.15.5
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Connecting Query to report

Post by Villeroy »

JonS wrote: I created my DB from a spreadsheet which worked well and imported about 5,800 records.
In order to avoid any misconception, have a look at the status bar of your Base document.

If it looks like this, you did not import anything. Your data are still in the spreadsheet and Base provides a different kind of access to your spreadsheet.
JonS wrote: the report does not work.
This does not tell us anything.
What do you do?
What do you expect to happen?
What does happen actually? Wrong results? Display problems? Error messages? Crash?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
JonS

Post by JonS »

I apologize for the lack of detail. Here are shots of the environment. I see I can not add more than three attachments. I will create another reply with the report definition.
Attachments
Query result using 4 columns of table.
Query result using 4 columns of table.
View of the single table
View of the single table
The Base View - the DB has a single table
The Base View - the DB has a single table
JonS

Post by JonS »

Here is the rest of the detail
Attachments
Report Result with no Query
Report Result with no Query
Here is where I think the problem is.  When I don't have group, report does not show any results using same query.
Here is where I think the problem is. When I don't have group, report does not show any results using same query.
Report Result with Grouping on Album
Report Result with Grouping on Album
SuccessfulQueryWhenOrganizatinAlbum.jpg (47.49 KiB) Viewed 11774 times
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice is so rotten since so many years, I do not remember all the issues related to database reporting.
You may install the Report Builder Extension which replaces the built-in report wizard with a much better and more powerful reporting tool.
You may also install LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. LibreOffice is the actively maintained successor to LibreOffice. It has the Report Builder Extenstion built in.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
JonS

Post by JonS »

Thanks. I was working on some forms and almost everything I did caused a crash. I hope LIbreOffice can read the DB I created.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

A connection to a spreadsheet is read-only anyway, so an input form is not particularly useful.
JonS

Post by JonS »

This was not a connection to a DB, it was imported. I downloaded LibreOffice and so far everything is much better. The report works and no crashes so far. Is there a different forum for LibreOffice?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It's difficult to read in white on light blue on top of this page: "User community support forum for Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice and all the OpenOffice.org derivatives"
JonS

Post by JonS »

Thank you. I tried to do a bit more with LibreOffice and it to crashed and exited. My DB is very small and is comprised of a singe table with about 25 columns. I would not have expected so many crashes. For now I have given up on both of these tools. I am not aware of any other substitutes. The next step might be Maria DB, but that involves a bit more work. I am so sad this did not work out.