[Solved] Importing DBF files into LO-Base

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
GowerMick

[Solved] Importing DBF files into LO-Base

Post by GowerMick »

Back in the '90's using DBase3, I created some DBF files, and want to import them as Tables into a new LO Base using MySQL. They do open in LO, but as spreadsheet files, with first row defining the field Title and Field Type for each column.

If I creata Table with fields matching the spreadsheet columns, is there a simple way to append the spreadsheet rows into the new Table?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Mick
LibreOffice 7.2.6.2 (x64)
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Importing DBF files into LO-Base

Post by Villeroy »

Connect a Base document to your dBase directory.
Connect another Base document to your MySQL database.
Copy a table icon in the dBase database, select the corresponding icon in the MySQLDB and paste. Choose "Append data" and the right order of columns.
Mind the right order of dependencies. Primary keys first, then the related foreign keys.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
GowerMick

Re: Importing DBF files into LO-Base

Post by GowerMick »

Sorry Villeroy,
I found a solution, and had deleted the post.

My solution was to open the DBF as a spreadsheet, Edit/copy all the rows, go to tables in the database, and Edit/paste as a new Table. This option only appears when you are in tables in the database, which is why I was having trouble. I was looking for a File/Import type command.

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for wasting your time :oops:
Mick
LibreOffice 7.2.6.2 (x64)
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Importing DBF files into LO-Base

Post by Villeroy »

If you open dBase tables with Calc or Base should not make a difference, however I would recommend to create a new MySQL database first because MySQL supports different features and data types than dBase.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice