[Solved] Trying to open database

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
graycd12

[Solved] Trying to open database

Post by graycd12 »

I am trying to open databases but keep getting "need JRE installed" I have downloaded and installed JRE9, restarted the computer and still get this error. The data base was created on a previous version of Open Office.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open office 4.1.4 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Trying to open database

Post by Villeroy »

IEither install LibreOffice (64bit) on your 64bit system or install a 32bit Java for the 32bit OpenOffice. A 32bit Java on a 64bit Windows system resides in C:\WIndows\Program Files (x86)\ and can be downloaded here: https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
graycd12

Post by graycd12 »

Thanks so much. :bravo: Solved!!!!!
Open office 4.1.4 on Windows 10
mbressler

Post by mbressler »

I have similar problem. I've used base before. Downloaded OO to a new computer, andI seems everything works except base. I can open the the first part of base which lists the tables. But if I click on one of the tables to open, I get the message JRE not installed ...., and a similar message if when I click ok. The thing is that I installed JDK which supposedly contains JRE, and it still didn't find it Then I installed public JRE, still the same. I'd appreciate any advice on any way I can get this working on my computer (Dell XPS 8910, W10, I7 (6700). Thanks very much
MB
Open Office 4.1.4 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: [Solved] Trying to open database

Post by FJCC »

Did you install a 32 bit Java? It would have 586 in the file name. If you go to Tools -> Options, expand the OpenOffice list on the left and pick Java, is Use a Java Runtime Environment selected, does a Java version appear in the Already Installed area and is the radio button next to it selected?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
mbressler

Post by mbressler »

Hi, thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure I installed the 64 bit java because it is a 64 bit system. When I follow your instructions the Java Runtime Environment is selected, but there is no Java version listed.
Thanks again
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You'll need to install a 32 bit Java because AOO on Windows is 32 bit, regardless of the Windows bit width. You can have both 32 and 64 bit versions on your system.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
mbressler

Post by mbressler »

Thanks David,
Well, I tried that. Went to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33155.html
and downloaded:
Windows x86 Offline 61.08 MB jre-8u152-windows-i586.exe

It said it installed, but when I restarted, still have the same problems, can't find JRE - need to install.

MB
mbressler

DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS MESS

Post by mbressler »

I restarted a second time and we're on. Thanks very much for your help.
MB