[Solved] Connect and visualize other odb files

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
viceant

[Solved] Connect and visualize other odb files

Post by viceant »

Hello, excuse my poor english ;)

I intend to make a principal database and connect it to a auxiliaries databases so that, Calc alike, some fields are linked to another table fields and you can visualize its data but not change them. For example, In Base you can connect to an Access database and visualize its data.

Is there any way to make it in Base?
Last edited by viceant on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LibreOffice 5.0.5.2 on Windows 7 Professional 64/ Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Connect and visualize other odb files

Post by Villeroy »

One Base file, one data source. WIthin the data source application you may be able to link text, dBase or something else. To some very limited extent you may overcome this limitation.
In Writer or Calc hit F4. You see a registered database "Bibliography". When you right-click>"Edit Database" then you see that this database is linked a dBase directory in your user profile.
Create a simple plain text file consisting of some values from the "Identifier" field and save this text file in its own directory.
Connect a registered text database to this directory. Like dBase databases, text databases are linked to directories of similar text files.
Now you can create a form in a stand-alone Writer document connected to the text file toghether with a subform connected to the dBase file. This does not work with embedded forms because they always refer to the containing database document. The subform shows the corresponding dBase record for the selected record in the text file.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
viceant

Post by viceant »

I guess I need a database in multiuser mode, don't I?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You have a registered database "Bibliography". The name refers to a database document <user profile>/database/biblio.odb.
The document is connected to a dBase directory <user profile>/database/biblio/ which contains a dBase file biblio.dbf.

Save the following text data in a text file and save the text file to a dedicated directory as BlahData.csv. The first line "ID" is a column label.

Code: Select all

ID
GUR00
PAR00
OOO00
OOO01
OOO02
OOO03
OOO04
SUN00
SUN01
SUN02
SUN03
BAI00
MIL00
HAU00
LEE00
LAM00
GAE00
BOE00
BOE01
TOO00
Now you have a second database of type "Text". Connect a new Base document to it, save it as Blah.odb so you get a second database document blah.odb, linked to some text directory and registered as "Blah".
Now open the attached Writer document which contains a form and a subform. The form on the left shows the IDs from the text file. The subform shows the related details from the dBase file.
Attachments
BlahForm.odt
Linking data from BlaData.csv with details from biblio.dbf
(10.06 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
viceant

Post by viceant »

Ok, thanks