ODBC-driver to access OpenOffice Base documents?

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
digiajay

ODBC-driver to access OpenOffice Base documents?

Post by digiajay »

Has this problem been resolved? When I tried today to add the data source in Windows-->ControlPanel-->AdminTools-->DataSources(ODBC). I still don't find the OpenOffice is not listed under FileDNS. Anyone can help me to add the OpenOffice database source and create a DNS file?
 Edit: Hagar (moderator): topic split and title changed. 
--
Thanks
Ajay.
Using OpenOffice version 4.1.1 on Windows 7 Professional Operating System
eremmel

Re: How to connect to ODBC DSN files?

Post by eremmel »

Hi digiajay,

This topic is about something different than you are asking for. Your question is "Is there an ODBC-driver to access OpenOffice Base documents via ODBC". The answer is no there isn't. The reason is that Base is an AOO application and not a database. It is a front end to access multiple databases (including the build database HSQLDB, which is a risk in using for serious work). When you use Base to access an external database, you might be able to access that database directly via ODBC with its native ODBC-drivers. See topics about 'Split database' to learn how to change from a Base document with embedded database to a Base document with an separate database.

Success,
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
digiajay

Post by digiajay »

Hi eremmel,

Thanks for clarification. Now I understand. :-) So there is no equivalent application in OO for MS Access. :-(
--
Thanks
Ajay.
Using OpenOffice version 4.1.1 on Windows 7 Professional Operating System
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

I hope that your conclusive question is intended to address another aspect. Base is a front end to 'any' database. You can build forms etc. It is however not so sofisticated, and the macro language is far from easy. To learn something about Base start reading the tutorials and/or go to YouTube and look for LibreOffice or OpenOffice and Base tutorials. This might give you the info you need to make your decision.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)