Disconnect an odb from mdb

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
bastereta

Disconnect an odb from mdb

Post by bastereta »

I have created an odb directly opening from an mdb file. Now, both are connected, and I want to delete mdb file, but when I delete mdb, odb is automaticly set to blanc (with no tables and no information).
LibreOffice 4.3.7.2 (based on OpenOffice) on Windows 7 home premium (with SP1)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Disconnect an odb from mdb

Post by Villeroy »

OK, disconnect from mdb and connect to what else?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MTP
Volunteer

Re: Disconnect an odb from mdb

Post by MTP »

The .odb file only stores queries, forms, and reports. The actual tables are stored by a separate program, in your case Access/Jet.

Base has an option to use an "embedded" version of HyperSQL database (HSQLDB) where the HSQLDB program and all the files it uses to manage the tables are zipped inside the .odb file. This works for small to medium files that don't see a lot of activity; with a large file or frequent use the risk of dataloss bugs due to the "embedding" becomes greater.

You could create a new Base file and drag & drop the tables from your connected .mdb file into the new file. This would attempt to convert the Jet database into a HSQLDB database; the success of the conversion would depend on what kind of data and columns you have. If successful, then you'd have your data in a database embedded inside the .odb file (so it would act like one file).
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database