[Solved] Import CSV into Base table

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
NotYetSenile

[Solved] Import CSV into Base table

Post by NotYetSenile »

How?!
I am working on a very simple DB. List of Items and a table of inspections of these items. I've manually entered a test list of Items but I want to import a rather large set of Inspection records.
I've followed the description of importing given by r4zoli but all I get is the spinning circle of death. When I manage to stop the SCOD, I find an empty table and get an error message in the usual SQL gibberish. (The data is quite clean. Most Comments fields are empty; all other fields are filled with valid values.)
Surely there is an easy method to import data?! Just about every other package I've worked with does.
I have tried both CSV files and Calc files. Similar results in both cases.

Suggestions, pleeeease!!!
Last edited by NotYetSenile on Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice V4.1.1 on Windows 7
NotYetSenile

Re: Import CSV into Base table

Post by NotYetSenile »

After a few fruitless attempts at doing the import, I gave up, closed the DB and had a stiff drink.
Next day, i opened the DB and, lo and behold, there were three tables holding the data I had tried to import! All correct.
Why the error messages? Who knows? Anyway, this proves there is a Santa Claus and he doesn't mind bad language.
Off to my next adventure! I'm pretty sure my DB is corrupt so I'm looking forward to importing its data into a new DB.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: (Solved?) Import CSV into Base table

Post by Villeroy »

@NotYetSenile (sure?),
You do not tell us what you do.
You do not tell us what's wrong because error messages mean nothing to you.
There are many different ways to get text data into a database.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MTP
Volunteer

Post by MTP »

If you need to import in the future, try View->Refresh Tables afterwards. What you see in the Tables pane frequently doesn't update if you edit anything outside the Base GUI, so you have to manually issue the "Refresh Tables" command to see your changes.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I'm 99% sure that r4zoli mentions View>Refresh Tables whereever necessary. But we still do not know to which contribution by r4zoli the OP refers to.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
NotYetSenile

Re: [Solved] Import CSV into Base table

Post by NotYetSenile »

Thanks for the comments. As noted, I have solved the problem. I'm too embarrassed to say how; I'll just blame the corrupt DB.