Importing updated csv files

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
mcrane

Importing updated csv files

Post by mcrane »

I am very new to this. I have a number of pieces of equipment that I have been able to send .csv fail logs to another computer that I want to use as a server. I want to be able to open Base, and import the .csv files for review. The csv files are very simple, equipment number, date, time, and failure. The inspection cameras will add a line to the individual .csv file when it detects a fail then close the connection. It does this each fail. I need to know if there is a way to start Base and have it pull in the current .csv file data so it can be queried. So the run through would go like this: Vision system has a failed part, sends a comma delimited line stating camera number, date, time, fail type to a .csv file. This continues as long as the camera is in operation. A quality manager comes to the computer and opens Base and it automatically pulls in the most current .csv file so he/she can look over the logs. They can query it based on time, date, camera, or fail type. They would close Base. A couple of days later, the QC manager does the same thing and Base pulls in the updated .csv file with the current fail logs. Can Base do this?
Last edited by mcrane on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.1
Windows 7 32 bit VMWare
Lenovo laptop
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Importing "living" csv files

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

I don't use Base in batch mode so cannot help. As I understand your real question is "How to run Base in batch mode to input data from a file".

Can I suggest that you change your Subject (edit your post) to something like that as it will be more descriptive of the problem.

There are quite a few hits when I search this forum with batch. You may also find it useful to google openoffice base batch - it brings up lots of hits.

You can easily add the next CSV file to a main CSV file (where all the CSV files get added) so that you only need to import a single CSV into Base each time.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Importing "living" csv files

Post by Villeroy »

Indeed, the solution is a simple one, without office suite nor database. See "get-content" in Microsoft's Powershell documentation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 49787.aspx
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice