Database not recognizing JRE

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
Doc16743

Database not recognizing JRE

Post by Doc16743 »

In attempting to work on an Access database, when I invoke "Use wizard to create table", I get the error message "OpenOffice requires a Java runtime environment....." and instructs me to install one and restart OpenOffice.

When I tried to install JRE, the computer informed me that it was already installed. Since re-installation was an option, I selected that and the install went with no issues.

However, when again trying to invoke the table wizard, I was again informed that it requires a JRE.

Can someone point out what I might be missing? The JRE I installed was designed for this 64-bit Windows version.

Thanks!
Doc
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Windows 7 64-bit
Harry Hobbes

Re: Database not recognizing JRE

Post by Harry Hobbes »

OpenOffice (and LibreOffice) require the 32-bit version of JRE. Note that both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of JRE can co-exist on a Windows platform.
OpenOffice 4.1.0, LibreOffice Fresh (4.2.5.2) on Windows 7, x64; also learning Linux Mint Petra, X32, MATE desktop.
Base DBs using HyperSQL 2.3.2 (Split configuration).
Doc16743

Post by Doc16743 »

Wow! Fast reply AND good information!!

That did the trick!! Many thanks!
Doc
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Windows 7 64-bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Neither LibreOffice nor OpenOffice require any Java at all. However, many parts of the Base component are implemented in Java.

WIthout a single bean of Java you can ...
-- connect your Access database to this office suite through a Microsoft driver for the MS JET database engine.
-- send SQL commands through a simple command line interface (Tools>SQL). The table wizard is a joke. You don't miss anything.
-- query the database in "parsed mode" or "direct mode" (aka Access:"Pass Through Query")
-- design forms manually (the wizzard is nonsense anyway)
-- run existing Base reports but all tools to create reports rely on Java
-- utilize your database data in office documents which is the main purpose of Base. For instance you can build serial letters, feed calculation models with data and you may use Calc as an alternative reporting tool.
-- copy data from one connected database to some other connected database using a wizard that is triggered by copy&paste or drag&drop.

All the bullshit wizards rely on Java but they are not important except for the report wizard.
Connections through drivers written in Java (JDBC connections) rely on Java. MySQL, Access, PostgreSQL and many others can be connected without Java drivers.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice