How to use MySql Extension

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
doncell6

How to use MySql Extension

Post by doncell6 »

Running LibreOffice 4.0.4.2 on Windows 7 Pro.
I have successfully installed the MySql native extension Thank you Villeroy.

I am trying to find a tutorial on how to use Base with a MySql database. I cannot seem to find any tutorial.
Please tell me where I can find a tutorial.

Thank you,.
Version 4.3.7.2 on Windows 7 Pro
eremmel

Re: How to use MySql Extension

Post by eremmel »

Google brings me to this page.
When you have solved your connectivity than almost any Base tutorial will help you further.
Note that some admin things might be hard to manage through Base. I advice you to install "MySQL Workbench" for setting up user, access right, tune MySQl etc.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
rudolfo
Volunteer

Re: How to use MySql Extension

Post by rudolfo »

I just want to emphasize the point again that eremmel made in his post: "Almost any Base Tutorial will help you" and take the chance to recommend the two PDF documents at the bottom of the page Roberto Benitez on Programming with Base. Together they give you a good guideline what to implement with the help of forms, filters and subforms and for which features it is worth to start programming. The focus of both document is a bit programmer specific, but I don't think that this is a mistake. Because sooner or later if you want to do serious projects with Base you will have to learn and understand the SQL language.

Base is a frontend tool for accessing any database backend engine and it tries to treat them all the same way. Programmers like to call this an abstraction layer above the pure low-level database interface. Because Base wants to be independent of the specific database engine it only supports a subset of the SQL language that is common ground for all backends. For the typical CRUD operations of a form application or the R(ead) Operations of a report or a query this is good enough. Insert, Select, Update and Delete are the same for all backends. Though some backends might offer some handy extensions that are useful in some specific cases. But in general 90 percent of all the forms, queries and reports can be done with the core insert, select, update functionality that is common to all database engines.

This gets more difficult when it comes to creating tables. Autoincrement columns and date formats are often implemented differently in the different backend database engines. And furthermore Base can't cover the area of database users and user permissions. At least for server based backends (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, ...) it is essential that you have an adminstration tool as "MySQL Workbench" to manage users and process Data Definition Language (DDL) tasks (create tables with different column types, create users, ...)

The Base forum and its subforums has quite a lot of information about MySQL which should be easy to find if you execute a search for mysql in the Base forum.
If you have a focus on programming you might also look into the thread Good language reference for basic language as used in Base.
There is also a subforum with Tutorials for Base.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.