Using CSV or ODS with database

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
luke6283

Using CSV or ODS with database

Post by luke6283 »

Tried searching but couldn't really find a similar situation....
Using Windows 7 and OO 4.01
We keep track of our deli waste using a handheld scanner, it generates a txt file with csv.....If for this to work I need to copy the data to an ODS I can do that as well just want it to work if possible.
I'd like to create a database for the UPC's describing which each upc actually is and somehow import the file so it will generate a report showing the waste with the descriptions of the upcs and amount of waste... does this sound possible?
Open Office 4.01 on Win 7
RusselB

Re: Using CSV or ODS with database

Post by RusselB »

Possible is an understatement, in my opinion, especially for a spreadsheet, and I'd be very surprised to hear that a database would be much more difficult.
I simply don't have the knowledge of databases to make this work as a database.

If you would upload/attach a sample of the file that the scanner generates, then I'd have a better idea as to how to set up a spreadsheet, and someone else (that's more familiar with databases) would be able to use the same base information.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Using CSV or ODS with database

Post by Villeroy »

Can be done with any of the usual relational databases and then you may connect your database with this office suite. FIrst of all you need to build up your products database, integrate the text table(s) somehow and then you may connect a Base document to that database in order to do something with your data in the context of this office suite (printing invoices etc). This is completely unrelated to this office suite in the first place.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice