Importing RSS feeds and forwarded emails

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
joestudent

Importing RSS feeds and forwarded emails

Post by joestudent »

I have been searching the far reaches of the web trying to find a way to import all of my rss feeds into openofice base. From what I have gathered so far is that it is possible with VBA code but could not find it anywhere. I think this should not be that difficult.

Also, I have been trying to find a way to forward emails to same database. Is there a way to setup a database email address to send mail to? I have already tried to forward the emails to rss feed but that is not without errors.

Please assist me in anyway, thank you.
OpenOffice 3.3.0
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Importing RSS feeds and forwarded emails

Post by TheGurkha »

I think you might be better off checking out something like Evernote.

http://evernote.com/

It's designed for capturing all sorts of data, images, URLs, webpages, documents, emails etc. etc. and your data is stored in the cloud, automatically indexed for searching (including text in images!) and is accessible on desktops, phone apps and in any browser.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
joestudent

Post by joestudent »

I have looked at that option but I am looking to analyze the data and generate reports. I need the benefits of using a database rather than a viewer. Thanks for the quick reply!
OpenOffice 3.3.0
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

But why OpenOffice?
joestudent wrote:I have been searching the far reaches of the web trying to find a way to import all of my rss feeds into openofice base.
It is a very common misunderstanding that Base is a database program. It is not.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
joestudent

Post by joestudent »

not sure what you mean. Is it not the alternative to ms access?
OpenOffice 3.3.0
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

What people think of as the Access database is actually the Access front end, and the Microsoft Jet database back end. In AOO you get the Base front end (which can be a front end to many databases, such as MySQL or PostGres, and which acts as a bridge between your tables/data and, for example, Writer when it needs to do mail merge etc.), and it comes by default with the HSQL database engine back-end.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If you know how to do such things in MS Access, you must be quite an Access wizzard and you will be disappointed when trying the same in this office suite. Being an Access wizzard, you might know that MS Access is not a database neither. MS Access is a powerful frontend to various types of databases. For instance, you can use MS Accesss to build rather elaborated desktop applications on top of a MySQL database. In addition, MS Access comes with its own (very limited and strictly proprietary) JET database engine which is what most people mean when they refer to MS Access as a database. When you build a new Access database from scratch, MS Access creates a JET database embedded in the frontend package and it provides certain tools to split such package into a backend and a frontend for multi-user access.
OpenOffice can do something similar with a third-party database http://hsqldb.org but the difference amounts to thousands of development hours and many millions of dollars of funding.
Anyhow, if you had some database up and running which magically reads from your feeds and mails, you could choose between dozends of database frontends to turn raw database data into information. For instance, you may connect Base to your already existing database, add some meaningful queries, bind text documents or spreadsheets to your queries in order to feed office documents with selected database data. You may even attach input form controls to office documents in order to write some data from your keyboard or from clipboard back into the databse.
You may do very similar things in MS Access, Word, Excel. But all this requires a working database application in the first place.
If MS Access is the only database tool set you feel familiar with, then you can't switch to any other tool set easily (according to my experience from this forum).
If you are a (semi-)professional database developer, you would know your preferred free RDBMS and you may even do useful things with OpenOffice connected to your database. However, you would not use this office suite for database development (MS Access neither).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
joestudent

Post by joestudent »

Back to my question. Can you point me in the right direction towards my goals of using rss feed data into a database?
OpenOffice 3.3.0
joestudent

Post by joestudent »

OK, thanks for the replies. My question has opened many more questions and I now need to go learn some stuff.
OpenOffice 3.3.0
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Regarding the email, I know that mail delivery agents and mail transfer agents can be set up to store mail in databases.