[Solved] Exporting entire database

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
ford650

[Solved] Exporting entire database

Post by ford650 »

Well, I hope my first question doesn't get me 'tossed' from the forum. I completed my first database using oo 3.4 base. I did this on my laptop, Win 7 64 bit.
It works pretty good for a first attempt. Now, I'd like to wrap it up and put it on my desktop machine (also Win 7 [ I know, I know] 64 bit). I've read FAQs ad nauseum on exporting to MySQL, Access 2010, yada, yada. Nothing found on just moving it to another machine. I remember MS-SQL was a little challenging (wacky) at times in doing this.

When I do a save as, and get both the .odt and .odb files, theyare pretty small, and OO on the receiving side doesn't recognize them as much. Anybody else run into this? OO 3.4 is on both machines, and the hand re-creation of the db works.
Last edited by ford650 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows 7 64bit
FJCC

Re: Exporting entire database

Post by FJCC »

I don't think I understand what you are trying to do. What kind of database are you connecting to? Is it an embedded database run through the odb file? You can tell by opening the odb file and looking at the bottom of the window. Does it say something about Embedded HSQL? I don't remember the exact words, but it should be obvious. If you are running the embedded database, you should just be able to copy the odb file over to the other computer. I don't understand what the odt file is that you mention.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
ford650

Post by ford650 »

Perhaps you didn't read the question, so I"ll net it out.. Using the OO base 3.4, I built my database from scratch. It does all the tricks right there on my laptop. It's good. Now I simply want to move, migrate, copy it to another machine and use it there (to free up disk space on the laptop). When I "save all" it generated 2 files, dbwhatever.odb and dbwhatever.odt, neither of which is useful on the "other" OO base 3.4 system. There are no messages. "Open an existing database" to the fully qualified path\filename doesn't do squat.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OO Base is only a front end to the underlying database, which database engine is displayed on the Status bar at screen bottom.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If you created the database from scratch, the status bar reads "embedded HSQLDB" and everything should be wrapped in the .odb file which can be copied across systems. Just don't run any databases from SD cards nor USB sticks because these media tend to break because of heavy disk access.
Any other system with a fairly recent version of OpenOffice or LibreOffice and with Java 6 (better not 7) should be able to open the database document just like an ordinary office document.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ford650

Post by ford650 »

Thanks for the quick responses. I shut down the 'sending' machine, relaunched OO, saved the database to a new name, and transferred to the receiving machine via the LAN. Works fine! Go figure.