From Informix to Base

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
Marlowe

From Informix to Base

Post by Marlowe »

i've finally built my db with libreoffice base: it gives the bill of materials of products we sell extracting the order details from the main database of the company i work for (commercial: dbwin, running on ibm informix, which i've the administrator login available).
at the moment i run a specific query on informix through microsoft excel, then i copy and paste the result on base: i want to connect informix straight to libreoffice base: don't know how exactly... anybody has experienced that?
how many rows can libreoffice base manage? the query i need from informix returns me around 20.000 rows that is one whole year order details: can libreoffice base make it?
thanks to anybody who can help, diego
DACM
Volunteer

Re: From Informix to Base

Post by DACM »

I don't have any experience with Informix, but Base uses drivers to connect to specific RDBMS's using the 'Connect to an Existing Database' wizard...

See:
JDBC driver
Quick Start Guide for JDBC Driver
DRIVER LOCATION: ifxjdbc.jar
JDBC URL FORMAT: jdbc:informix-sqli://{<ip-address>|<host-name>}:<port-number>[/<dbname>]: INFORMIXSERVER=<server-name>
DRIVER CLASS: com.informix.jdbc.IfxDriver

ODBC driver
ODBC driver
ODBC Driver Guide
ODBC configure data sources
ODBC syntax
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

i'll work with that, thanks for the links. what about the other questions:
how many rows can libreoffice base manage? the query i need from informix returns me around 20.000 rows that is one whole year order details: can libreoffice base make it?
thanks to anybody who can help, diego
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Base is not a database program. It lets you access your Informix database in the context of this office suite so you can mport filtered and sorted subsets of data into office documents. There is no row limit other than the limits of your database engine which is Informix in this particular case.
Marlowe wrote:i've finally built my db with libreoffice base:
Then you have an HSQLDB which happens to be wrapped into the database document. When you open the document the HSQLDB gets installed into a temporary directory. This special type of database is good enough for educational purposes. You must not use it in productive environments.
Copying from one database to spreadsheet and then into another database should not be required. Simply access the original database through Base.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice