Dropping table onto Base fails

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
PeterP

Dropping table onto Base fails

Post by PeterP »

Hi,all-

I'm trying to convert an MsAccess database to MySQL, using OO Base as an intermediate step, but it's not working. Here are the steps I go through:

1. Start up two copies of OO Base. In one of them I open the MsAccess database, and I can see all the tables and their contents. In the other copy, I connect to MYSql Server. I have connected both to MYSql Server in native mode (running on the same computer as Base) and also via ODBC to MySQL running on a networked machine - get the same failure.

2. Drag one of the tables from the first Base instance to the tables area of the second instance.

3. I see the Copy Table dialog, and tell it to create the Primary Key id. Click on Next.

4. See the Apply Columns dialog, select all and transfer them to the right-hand list. Click on Next.

5. See the Type formatting dialog, and click Create.

I then get an error box titled "Open Office.Org Base", with the contents "Create Command denied to user (name) for table (name). The details in "More" are SQL status 42000, error code 1142.

But, using Create Table in Design View or the Wizard, I can create a table in this (the MySQL) instance of OO Base, so at least some of the permissions must be correct.

Any thoughts about what's going on here?

Peter
Open Office 3.3 on Windows XP SP2
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Dropping table onto Base fails

Post by r4zoli »

Base is wrong tool for this conversion, much easy export from access as csv and import it to MySQL, with HeidiSQL free tool.

Or use mdb-MySQL conversion tools, free or paid, for this purpose, search by Google for it.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
PeterP

Re: Dropping table onto Base fails

Post by PeterP »

Thanks for the reply. Further investigation has shown many roadblocks in using Base for this project: problems with incompatible data types for example. It's not something which can be made to work easily. So, I'll look for other methods.
Open Office 3.3 on Windows XP SP2