Connect to an existing database empty

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
andyroberts1234

Connect to an existing database empty

Post by andyroberts1234 »

I am on the first steps to try and set up a connection to a SQLite database. However, when I try to connect to an existing database following the wiki instructions http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... w_database the drop down box is empty. This is on a Vista laptop. An installation on an XP machine has 16 options available including the ODBC option required. However, I need to get this to work on the Vista. Both machines have OO 3.30 installed. I have tried re-installing on the Vista laptop to see if this would help, but the drop down list is still empty (2 blank spaces).

Is there a setting I am missing somewhere?

Many thanks for your help.

Andy
Andy

OOO 3.3.0 / Windows 7 64-bit
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Connect to an existing database empty

Post by r4zoli »

If you understand correctly, you can not select ODBC option in new database wizard in Vista?
Than you needs to run OOo as admin, not simple user, or change user rights, and try after that.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
andyroberts1234

Thank you for your quick reply. I am logged in as administrator on the Vista (and even if I choose to run as administrator it makes no difference).

Just to clarify, there are no options available in the Database Wizard.

Regards

Andy
Andy

r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

Try reset user profile [Tutorial] The OOo user profile.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
andyroberts1234

Tried and no luck- went through the welcome process again as described, new profile created but still no options in the drop down menu.
Andy

rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

Just a guess. SQLite ODBC can be installed in two flavours 32bit and 64bit. As you may know (or can learn) from several other threads, OpenOffice is a 32bit application, also on a 64bit Windows. It requires the 32bit Java Runtime Environment so I guess for the ODBC driver it will be the same.
JREs can be installed in parallel (32 and 64bit), but I am not sure if this is also possible for the SQLite ODBC drivers? But you can give it a try before uninstalling the existing one and replacing it with the other.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
andyroberts1234

Sorry, my signature may be a little misleading as I am using OO on diff comps at the moment (see 1st post). My problem is on a Vista 32-bit OS so this shouldn't be the problem (and probably would not explain why there aren't any options listed atall unless this was an issue for all drivers).
Andy

casaerst

Post by casaerst »

Any news on this topic. I'm having the same problem, trying to import data from calc to base. Working with OpenOffice 3.3 on Vista Home Premium as an administrator.
- Have already completely uninstalled en re-installed Open Office.
- Have already reset the user profile.
- Have looked through all posts on the OpenOffice web, but no results.

But the dropdown list "connect to an existing database" remains empty.

Also via File/templates/address book source/ --> button 'Address Data Source' --> button 'Other external Data Source' --> button 'Settings' the Database Type dropdown list is empty.
Open Office 3.2 on Vista 32Bit
DACM
Volunteer

Post by DACM »

casaerst wrote:But the dropdown list "connect to an existing database" remains empty.
We're all stumped.

Maybe try a portable version: OpenOfficePortable or LibreOffice Portable & JavaPortable
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria