OOo Base connect to Interbase 6

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
jacquesleroux777

OOo Base connect to Interbase 6

Post by jacquesleroux777 »

I used to have a OBDC driver that connected me to Interbase 6 fine, but since the license has expired and I don't really want to buy one for £325, I am desperately hoping it is possible to connect to the Interbase database some other way.

I know scary little about the different databases except that when connected, I can do what I need to do by importing the tables into Calc.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards
OOo 3.4 Dev Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: OOo Base connect to Interbase 6

Post by Villeroy »

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebird_% ... _server%29 Firebird is a free fork of Interbase 6.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

May be the Interbase successor the Firebird database ODBC driver could help you, it is only a guess.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
jacquesleroux777

Post by jacquesleroux777 »

I have loaded the driver, but cannot seem to connect.

What would be the client details in the panel, it seems to be looking for a dll file. If I leave it blank, I get cannot connect to database...

Thanks guys so far.
OOo 3.4 Dev Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I'd suggest a Firebird forum. Connecting some client to Interbase via Firebird driver (if possible) has nothing to do with Base in the first place. First you need the connection between the database and the Firebird ODBC driver (or may be JDBC).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Anon_E_Mouse

Post by Anon_E_Mouse »

jacqueleroux777;
Never used Interbase, but am slightly familiar with Firebird. In order to use Base with an Interbase *.gdb file would suggest the following (you will have to search out the download sources as I don't have them handy):
1) Download a Firebird installer - I KNOW that vers 2.1.1 will work with Base as I am using it.
2) You may need to "convert" your *.gdb database file to a *.fdb - am not sure. I don't think so but could be mistaken. In any event I know I've read stuff in the Firebird documentation on this. I would suggest using the *.gdb first and if not work, then study up on the conversion.
3) You need the Java runtime environment - I think that gets installed with OpenOffice.Org itself.
4) download a zipped file Jaybird.2.2.0snapshot_20060810JDK_1.5. Unzip (extract) the file. This has "fixes" for certain non standard/non compliant issues in Base.
5) In Open Office tools->options->Java first be sure there is a Java runtime environment installed (mine shows Sun Microsystems Inc version 1.6.0_07. Then click on class path.
6) Navigate to the file Jaybird-full-2.2.0 and click on it. This will then show up in Open Office as a class library.
7) Open a dateabase in Open Office, click on connect to existing database, using JDBC
8) The driver name to enter is org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver
9) the URL to enter (after the jdbc:) is firebirdsql:oo: <computer name where data file is located>:c:\<path to database and database name> [you'll have to insert yours]
10) During the above process click on the "test driver" and then on the "test connection". They should check out if you've typed everything ok. If the *.gdb database cannot be read, you will need to convert you file to a *.fdb.
11) Once you make you connection, you can edit, create forms, reports etc. in Base to access, change etc. your Interbase/Firebird files.
The above does work, I know. Good luck.

John
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows XP
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

And 6a) because "Open a dateabase in Open Office" can be interpreted in different ways ;-)

After you have selected the jaybird JDBC driver jar-file for the classpath settings, save the settings and restart OpenOffice completely (including the quickstarter).
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.