Save as creates read only file

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
kente

Save as creates read only file

Post by kente »

I am new to Base but I have created a data base on my netbook and now want to put it on a shared drive so I can enter data, do queries, etc. on any of my computers. When I saved the data base from the netbook to a public drive on another computer it became read only and I couldn't enter data. I know this is a simple issue but I haven't found simple explanations in the knowledge base or the help files.

Thanks,

Kent
Open Office 3.2, Windows XP
RoryOF

Re: Save as creates read only file

Post by RoryOF »

Go to the actual file of the databas at system level; Right Click on it, select Properties, then select General tab. is the Read only box checked? If so, uncheck it and OK out. it often happens that in transfer from system to system files get marked as Reasd only.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kente

Post by kente »

Thanks Rory but the read only box is not checked.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Check that there is no hidden file with a name similar to .~lock.filename.odp# in the database directory. With OpenOffice closed, delete this.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kente

Post by kente »

I have "show hidden files and folders" checked and I don't see anything but the .odb file
kente

Post by kente »

OK, with Open Office open, the .odb.lck file appears. When I close OpenOffice it disappears so I can't delete it.??? Checked again to see that "show hidden files and folders" is checked and it is.