[Solved] Cannot get COUNT from query

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
jgsylvester

[Solved] Cannot get COUNT from query

Post by jgsylvester »

I have a Basic macro that connects to a OpenOffice.org Calc spreadsheet and imports the data using the Uno service Drive Manaer. I successully connect to the Calc spreadsheet and successfully execute the query "SELECT * FROM TABLENAME", and then cycle through all records importing the data to my database. However the following query does not produce the count of records from the spreadsheet "SELECT COUNT(*) AS ICOUNT FROM TABLENAME". The variable ICOUNT is empty. Am I doing something wrong or is COUNT not valid in this situation? I can cycle through the records and get a count of the number of records if necessary.
Last edited by jgsylvester on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Openoofice.org 3.3.0 Windows Vista (also Openoffice.org 3.3.0, Ubuntu 10.10)
eremmel

Re: Cannot get COUNT from query

Post by eremmel »

When I use a Base document and have as database a Calc sheet, I can use a 'count-*' query. I do not know whether you can expect that a BASIC variable 'ICOUNT' is filled by running the query. I think that you need to bind your BASIC variable to the output column. In some languages with 'embedded' SQL you normally specify '... AS :ICOUNT FROM ... (note the colon) to tell that there is a relation between language variable and query result. Not sure how that works in Base with BASIC, but have a look to variable binding.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
jgsylvester

Post by jgsylvester »

Thanks for the suggestion. I get an BASIC runtime error: An exception occurred. Type: com.sun.star.sdbc.SQLException. Syntax error. Unexpected symbol ':', expecting NAME or CHAR_LENGTH or SQL_TOKEN_POSITION or SQL_TOKEN_EXTRACT. I also tried to COUNT (HEADERNAME) but that failed, saying only COUNT (*) was valid. I have never seen CHAR_LENGTH. I will look into that - maybe there is something there.
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

Why don't you try without the column alias in the query statement with "count(*)"? Simply cycle through your one row result set:

Code: Select all

oStmt = oCon.prepareStatement("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TABLENAME")
  oResult = oStmt.executeQuery()
  oResult.next()    ' usually you would have a while ...  here, but as it is always exactly one row
  theCount = oResult.getString(1)
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
jgsylvester

Re: Cannot get COUNT from query[Solved]

Post by jgsylvester »

It worked!! Thankyou very much for solving this problem. I really appreciate it.