MS Works database

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
pamcody

MS Works database

Post by pamcody »

I am unable to open a database created in Microsoft Works (.wdb) using Open Office 3.2.
I feel sure that I was able to do so in an older version.
I have just downloaded Open Office 3.2 and I'm using Windows 7.
I have many .wdb files and was hoping to use them in Open Office but they are not being recognized.
Can anyone help?
Thankyou
Open Office 3.2 on windows 7
Arineckaig
Volunteer

Re: MS Works database

Post by Arineckaig »

So far as I know OpenOffice has never been able to open directly Works Database files. On the other hand, PROVIDED you still have the MS Works program that created those files there are two routes that permit the data to be brought into Base.

1. From the open Works Db file SAVE AS a dBaseIV file. Base can directly link to and access dBase files.The dBase format, however, can be quite strict over field names and field contents so the data may not always be complete. It is also possible to Save As a .csv file that can be opened in Base, but again my experience has been that certain errors in transmission tend to occur.

2. The more flexible but more complex method is to open the Works Db file in its "List View" (Shft+f9). Copy All the data and paste into a new OpenOffice Calc spreadsheet. The data will generally copy without errors, but the Field names will not have been included. These should be entered manually by inserting a new row at the top of the Calc sheet and typing the names. The Calc sheet can then be copied and pasted as a new table in a new Base file: the copy and paste process permits you to define each Field Type for this new OpenOffice database.

If you no longer have your MS Works program I understand there is a conversion service on the Internet but I have no experience of it. Hopefully another more experienced person will help you. For example see http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... B+#p132560 or Search this forum with "Works WDB"
When this issue has been resolved, it would help other users of the forum if you add the word - [Solved] - to the Subject line of your 1st post (edit button top right).
AOOo 4.1.5 & LO 6 on MS Windows 10 MySQL and HSQLDB
pamcody

Post by pamcody »

Thankyou so much for the reply. You're right. I think that's maybe how I opened them in Open Office before, by saving in dBase format.
I had thought to do the "save as" procedure but found that my MSworks 2007 only gives me the option to "save as" .wdb or .csv or .txt. (no dBase IV or any other option) I will try the .csv procedure and see if that works. I'm trying to get help from my computer manufacturer to find out why MSWorks doesn't give me the other options.
thankyou again for yuour help
Pam
evwool
Volunteer

Post by evwool »

If you save your database as a CSV you would be able to open it with Calc, if it isn't too large. From Calc you could past it into a Base Table
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows XP and on Windows 7 Starter
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

evwool wrote:If you save your database as a CSV you would be able to open it with Calc, if it isn't too large. From Calc you could past it into a Base Table
Of course! Good idea.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
pamcody

Post by pamcody »

Thankyou. I will try that too.