Connecting to MS SQL Express

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
Rasputin

Connecting to MS SQL Express

Post by Rasputin »

How do I connect to MS SQL Express?

I have tried everything I can think of. :crazy:
Last edited by Rasputin on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OpenOffice29SQ 3.2 on Windows XP Pro

Yes, I do carry a life insurance policy.
It's a Glock Model 19 9mm.
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Connecting to MS SQL Express

Post by r4zoli »

Hard to help if not give more details about what to did try until now.
What type of connection you tried? JDBC, ODBC etc.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
evwool
Volunteer

Post by evwool »

Just in case Rasputin hasn't knocked himself out on that wall and still wants to know, or in case anyone else wants to try this, here's what I did:
Install step 1
Download and install MySQLExpress
(Heaven knows what half of the options mean!)
Install step 2
Install the free extension
MySQL Connector for Open Office

Creating a db called called Publishing using the MySQL Command Line Client now in my list of Programs:
In the stupid MySql window typed
create database publishing;
(semi-colon is needed)
I now have a folder in C:\ called
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\data\publishing
which contains one file only, db.opt

To connect to the database via Open Office Base:
Started OOBase
Chose option Connect to an existing database and chose MySql
Clicked Next

I chose Connect Native
Clicked Next

In the next window, next to Name of database, typed
publishing
Next to Server URL typed
localhost
left Port Number as 3306
left Socket blank.
Clicked Next

Next to User Name typed
root

I think I set up a password for MySql when I installed it (can't remember how – it's all a late night blur! Luckily I guessed which one I'd used)
so I ticked Password Required and pressed the Test Connection button (which saved me the hassle of starting the whole thing again if it hadn't worked). The Test Connection button warned me that I wasn't able to continue without a password (although it used % signs and // to tell me this) so I knew I had to have one.
I was then able to save my Base database on my PC. It didn't need the same name as the MySql db and I was able to save it in another location to the one created by MySQL.
Next time I wanted to open it, I could just 2click it in Windows Explorer.
I've still no idea what most of the jargon means.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows XP and on Windows 7 Starter
Rasputin

Re: Solved : Connecting to MS SQL Express

Post by Rasputin »

Thanks. I marked it solved.

rudolfo
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Connecting to MS SQL Express

Post by rudolfo »

Hey, why is this solved?
The detailed description of evwool covers MySQL, but the original poster was asking for help connecting to MS SQL Express (the Microsoft product).
Im not aware of any MySQL product with the label "Express", so I guess a solution for the Microsoft database is needed.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
evwool
Volunteer

Post by evwool »

MySql Express is the freeware version of MySQL, the one I am using, and I described how I connected to it. The original poster marked it as solved (see his reply).
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

Hm, yes. In deed he did mark the thread as solved. That's the part that buffeled me.
Rasputin, can you have another look on this? If your post was about MySQL Express, please change the title accordingly.
Generally marking a thread as [solved] is good. But if you mark a thread as solved with a missleading subject other users who follow the guide for this forum and run a search before posting will still be disappointed about what they find.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
Rasputin

Post by Rasputin »

My bad.
Corrected.

rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

Ooops. I am totally confused now. Rasputin, with your latest change you are saying that the Microsoft SQL issue is not solved. But is your problem really related with MS SQL? Can't believe this, because it would mean that your second post where you respond on evwool's detailed description on MySQL would say that a recipee for MySQL helps to save a problem with MS SQL!

So better change the title to "[solved] Connecting to MySQL Express"
evwool
Volunteer

Post by evwool »

Hi Rudolfo, either Rasputin figured it out for himself and therefore marked it as solved (though he didn't give a detailed account of what he did) or there are enough similarities between connecting to the MySQL COMMUNITY SERVER (as I should have called it in my posts) and MS SQL Express for him to be have been able to adapt my post, or he made the same mistake I did and mixed up names of the two pieces of software in his original post or he has given up the will to live altogether. Unless our 'mad monk' chooses to put us out of our misery, you must live with the pain