Connect existing csv/text as editable data source

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
Soundsailor

Connect existing csv/text as editable data source

Post by Soundsailor »

Hello:

I'm trying to follow the tutorial here: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 83&t=23260

I've successfully created the table using the following statement:

Code: Select all

CREATE TEXT TABLE "ECData" ("ID" INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,"GEOTYPE" VARCHAR(2), "GEOTYPE_MEANING" VARCHAR(400), "ST" VARCHAR(2), "COUNTY" VARCHAR(3), "PLACE" VARCHAR(5), "CONSCITY" VARCHAR(3), "CSA" VARCHAR(3), "MSA" VARCHAR(5), "MD" VARCHAR(5), "CENREG" VARCHAR(1), "COMMREG" VARCHAR(1), "GEO_ID" VARCHAR(20), "GEOGRAPHY" VARCHAR(1000), "SECTOR" VARCHAR(2), "SECTOR_MEANING" VARCHAR(4000), "NAICS2007" VARCHAR(8), "NAICS2007_MEANING" VARCHAR(255), "OPTAX" VARCHAR(2), "OPTAX_MEANING" VARCHAR(400), "FOOTID" VARCHAR(3), "FOOTID_MEANING" VARCHAR(400), "YEAR" VARCHAR(4), "YEAR_MEANING" VARCHAR(400), "ESTAB" INTEGER, "ESTAB_F" VARCHAR(3), "RCPTOT" INTEGER, "RCPTOT_F" VARCHAR(3), "PAYANN" INTEGER, "PAYANN_F" VARCHAR(3), "EMP" INTEGER, "EMP_F" VARCHAR(3), "NESTAB" INTEGER, "NESTAB_F" VARCHAR(3), "NRCPTOT" INTEGER, "NRCPTOT_F" VARCHAR(3));
Next I wanted to SET the table source using:

SET TABLE "ECData" SOURCE "EC0700A1.dat;fs=|;ignore_first=true";
However I get the following error:

1: bad TEXT table source file - line number: 1 java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "N" in statement [SET TABLE "ECData" SOURCE "EC0700A1.dat;fs=|;ignore_first=true"]
The source table is delimited using the | character with column headings in the first row. I can access the table in read only mode when I set it up as an external data source. However I can't query the table to extract the data I need when it is in read only mode.

I'd appreciate any help you can give.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP SP3
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Connect existing csv/text as editable data source

Post by Villeroy »

Seems to be a string "N" where there should be some number.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Soundsailor

Post by Soundsailor »

Could that be a problem with the CREATE TEXT TABLE command? I used the table definition file supplied with the table for the column names and data types. I used INTEGER for the data type NUMBER in the definitions. Would DOUBLE be a better choice?
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP SP3
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

CREATE TEXT TABLE creates an ordinary, indexable database table with field types and everything. SET TABLE SOURCE reads the data into the database table. Invalid data won't be accepted.
Load the csv into a spreadsheet (where each cell can take anything) and find the inconsistencies.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice