Table structure not displayed, can't add table to view

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
beislhur

Table structure not displayed, can't add table to view

Post by beislhur »

Hi,

I am using the German version of Ooo 3.1.1 on Mandriva 2010.

This is the odbc.ini:

Code: Select all

;
;;  odbc.ini configuration for MyODBC and MyODBC 3.51 Drivers
;;
;
;[ODBC Data Sources]
;
;myodbc3     = MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver DSN
;
[HolyShit]
Description     = my_database
Driver          = MySQL
Server          = 212.152.xxx.xxx
Database        = my_database
Port            = 3306
Socket          =
Option          = 3
ReadOnly        = No
and this my odbcinst.ini:

Code: Select all

[PostgreSQL]
Description             = ODBC for PostgreSQL
Driver          = /usr/lib/libodbcpsql.so.2
Setup           = /usr/lib/libodbcpsqlS.so.1
FileUsage               = 1

[unixODBC]
Description             = ODBC Driver for Unix
Driver          = /usr/lib/libodbc.so
Setup           = /usr/lib/libodbcinst.so
CPTimeout               =
CPReuse         =

[MySQL]
Description             = MySQL driver
Driver          = /usr/lib/libmyodbc5-5.1.6.so
Setup           = /usr/lib/libmyodbc3S-5.1.6.so
CPTimeout               =
CPReuse         =
I am able to connect to a MySql-database, but when I try to edit the table structure of some tables (only some, not all!!!), an empty form appears! If I try to add the same tables to a new query using the wizard, an error message pops up, telling me, that the query produced an empty result set and therefore the table cannot be added to another query. I don't know the exact English error message, because, as mentioned above, I am using the German version. The exact German error message is: "Die Abfrage erzeugt keine Ergebnismenge und kann deswegen nicht Teil einer anderen Abfrage sein!"

Any ideas?

Thanks, b.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Mandriva 2010.0
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Table structure not displayed, can't add table to view

Post by Villeroy »

OOo Base is not well suited for database design. It can hardly cover all the possible features of its own built-in HSQLDB.
Let an appropriate MySQL tool do all data definition.
The whole office suite is about office documents. It's a reference implementation for the ODF file format standard. Base is only a little bit more than a bridge to import database data into ODF documents.
The "little bit more" includes a relational HSQLDB to be embedded in "document-like packages" (.odb file with data) and the ability to edit relations by means of rather primitive input forms.

Having said all this, you may try Sun's native MySQL driver: http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... _connector
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
beislhur

Re: Table structure not displayed, can't add table to view

Post by beislhur »

Thanks for the quick reply, Villeroy
Let an appropriate MySQL tool do all data definition.
I think, the problem is with the version 5.1.6 of the connector, version 3.51, which I am using on WinXP together with MS Access, works perfectly, but for whatever reason cannot be installed from the Mandriva repositories because of lacking dependency (libmysqlclient.so.15). As I have to use the same faulty connector, doing the data definitions with another Linux tool may not be the solution of my problem.

I had a look at the tables, the structures of which were not displayed in Ooo and there is nothing special about them compared to the ones which are displayed correctly. So I hoped, anybody was happening to face the same problem to exclude one or the other component (connector/Ooo-version/Linux distribution) from the list of usual suspects.

So, I am going to meet your proposal now and will do all the data definitions with Navicat on WinXP.

Thanks
b.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Mandriva 2010.0