[Solved] Problems edit data with odbc driver and OOo (Mac)

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
albertocosner

[Solved] Problems edit data with odbc driver and OOo (Mac)

Post by albertocosner »

Hello,
I've a ODBC driver (Actual ODBC Pack v 2.9h, for Mac OS X) installed in my Mac (10.4.11) but there's a problem that I can't absolutely solve.
I have to connect my Mac through Openoffice.org (2.2 or 3.1.1) to a Postgre SQL Database, which is in a external server.
Using the ODBC driver I've set up the connection parameters.
Now openoffice can correctly open the database, but it is impossible to edit a new record when I open a table.
The only characters I can write in the fields of the tables are "ìèòàù".
I have the permissions to write in those tables and openoffice recognize them (in the tables which have the only-read permission I can't obviously neither write "ìèòàù") that's mean that it's not a question of permissions.
I'm using this database with openoffice with a windows platform (still with a ODBC driver) and it works: it means that the problem concerns only the Mac platform (openoffice in local doesn't have any problems) I think...
Thank you for your help!
alberto
OpenOffice 3 with MacOS 10.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Problems edit data with odbc driver and OOo with Mac

Post by Villeroy »

[Tutorial] Read-Only in Base
Missing primary keys are the most likely reason for read-only access.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
albertocosner

Post by albertocosner »

Thank you for your answer.
I've got a Primary Key. I think that it's not a problem of read-only access; in fact the tables in which I don't have the wrtiting permission are not editable, while the tables in which I have the writing permission are editable, but only with the characters "ìèòàù" (I've checked it out, thise tables have got the primary key).
Alberto
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

Your problem is a known bug issue 95792.
Try JDBC connection.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
albertocosner

SOLVED Re: Problems edit data with odbc driver and OOo with

Post by albertocosner »

I have definitely given up with the ODBC driver (even though I've bought it in a web-site which said that it would have worked with Mac; but, as I tested, unfortunatly not with openoffice). For my situation the JDBC driver works (JDBC3 Postgresql Driver, Version 8.4-701, download http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html).
This is an helpful tutorial (for beginners) to set the conncection: http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/index. It's not important where you copy the file.jar, but it as to be in a shared folder.
ciao and thanks, Alberto