Convert MS Access 2000 App to OO Base

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
dannydont

Convert MS Access 2000 App to OO Base

Post by dannydont »

I currently have an Access 2000 Application that I would like to convert to OO Base. If you are knowledgeable about converting a DB from Access 2000 to OO Base, could you share your thoughts. It is easy or is it a nightmare and what is the process (in some detail)? I see that OO Base has an Import Option for Access 2007. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to convert my application to Access 2007 (if I can find someone with Access 2007) and then Import the results into OO Base. Thoughts.
Thank you for any help you might provide.
Dan
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Convert MS Access 2000 App to OO Base

Post by Villeroy »

dannydont wrote:I see that OO Base has an Import Option for Access 2007.
:?: What do you mean :?:
You can access Access databases in Base like you can access many 3rd-party databases in Access. You connect to the database engine with some kind of driver (COM, ODBC, JDBC). That's all.
You can not "import" anything but the raw tables. There is no equivalent to MS Access in this office suite. Keep your MSAccess up and running until you converted your database to something more accessible than Access.
Base is not an Access replacement. http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 326#p66326
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
dannydont

Post by dannydont »

Thank you for the feedback. I am not very knowledgeable about OO Base as my question obviously showed. It will take a LOT of effort to rewrite my application in another DB product. I will try the "Connect" and see what happens. I am thinking however that this only gives me the data but not the Forms and Queries and Reports, etc. Thanks again,
Dan
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It will take a LOT of effort to rewrite my application in another DB product.
This is a common attribute of all Microsoft applications and it's intentional. Queries are just SQL-strings you can copy from one database to another and adjust some syntactical differences. However, MS extends the SQL standard with dozends of additional functions, so you may need to do more than copy&paste and find&replace.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice