Unable to Edit Data Imported Into Base From Spreadsheet

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
HTAYLOR

Unable to Edit Data Imported Into Base From Spreadsheet

Post by HTAYLOR »

OO Version: 3.0
Microsoft Office Version: 2000

After connecting to an Excel spreadsheet in Base, one cannot edit the resulting table in Base. The help file confirms this. Is there any way to pull data from a spreadsheet into Base and then make the table editable for future changes to the data without using Access to mediate between Excel and Base? Or is the data eternally unchangeable once it is brought into Base? :?

Thank you,
Last edited by HTAYLOR on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: UNABLE TO EDIT DATA IMPORTED INTO BASE FROM SPREADSHEET

Post by TheGurkha »

Please don't double-post.

Continue the discussion in the existing thread: Unable to edit data imported into Base from spreadsheet.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
dhadley

Re: Unable to Edit Data Imported Into Base From Spreadsheet

Post by dhadley »

SOLVED

OpenOffice Base 4.0.1 Windows 7
I've been fighting this same issue for 5 days, finally came up with an easy solution. Following is the procedure I used.

1. Open and save the OO Calc Spreadsheet AS A dbase (.dbf), after giving it a tile, in the pop-up, select "Keep Current Format" then in the next pop-up select "Western Europe (DOS/OS2-850/International). It's best to store only one database spreadsheet in a folder. (All spreadsheets in the same location will be listed as Tables)
2. Open the OO Base program , and in the "Select database" menu, select "Connect to an existing database.
3. Open window below and scroll down to and select "dBase" .
4. select "Next"
5. In the "Set up dBase connection' menu select "Browse" and select the Path where you save the (.dbf) Spreadsheet. select "Next".
6. In the "Save and proceed" menu, select "Yes Register database" and "Open database fo editing", Select "Finish"
7. Save the database . You're Done !
The database will open and the Table will be displayed under "Tables"
If you open the Table you will be able to edit the records, fields etc.
Good Luck, dhadley
OpenOffice 4.1.0 , Win-7
joegyoung

Post by joegyoung »

I am trying to do the same operation. I tried this solution with OO 4.01 Mac a dozen times with slight variations but still could not edit dat. When I follow the instructions I can't edit the list or add extra fields like a ID key. To get it to work at all I had to select a .ods type document as it just would not recognize the .dbf I created in OO form the .ods. I assume non-editing state is because the .odb is linked to the other sheet. Tried breaking the link by remaining the file but it just asked where the file went when I open the odb. :crazy:

I have a ods sheet with 1100 names that I would like to use as the start of a more extensive database. Alternately can you import a CSV list into a field of an existing db and generate the 1100 records and a ID Key (by auto) that way? Am I really going to have to re-type this data -some of it is corrupt but editing is quicker.
OpenOffice 4 Mac
F3K Total
Volunteer

Post by F3K Total »

Drag the spreadsheet tab onto the Tables-Area of an empty new database file, no connection, to make a copy and follow the wizzard. Then search this forum for "GENERATED BY DEFAULT AS IDENTITY" and find out how to setup an Auto-value PK.
HTH R
  • MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
  • my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO