How do I import an OO spreadsheet into an OO DB?

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
waynec444

How do I import an OO spreadsheet into an OO DB?

Post by waynec444 »

Edit: Topic locked — duplicate of Creating a DB flle from a OO spreadsheet from the same person on the same day. 
I have created a new OO DB. I don't see how to import a OO spreadsheet into the DB.
Open Office 4.1.10 on Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: How do I import an OO spreadsheet into an OO DB?

Post by Villeroy »

There is no such thing as an "OO DB". Base is a tool to work with connected databases. You may use any database you are familiar with and which is connectable with a Base document. Dozends of databases are connectable and database professionals have no difficulties with this concept. Computer users may be unfamiliar with the concept of "connection" although we use connections every time we do more than loading files with our computers (OK, when loading a file we make use of a connection to some file system, anyway ....)

Create a new database from scratch. This will be a HyperSQL (HSQL) database which is embedded in the Base document, so the whole thing looks like a database in a single file. This is a deception because at the start of every session the embedded HSQLDB will be installed to a temporary directory. Effectively, you are connected to an external database without noticing. The embedded database is updated every time when you close an editing session with a table, query or form.

From this point on where you have an embedded HSQLDB with no tables in it, everything is a development task until you finished the database structure and filled it with data from sheets or somewhere else. THIS IS NOT A FILE CONVERSION PROCESS. YOU ARE THE ONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT THE ACTUAL STRUCTURE OF YOUR DATA AND YOU ARE THE ONE TO KNOW HOW EXACTLY YOU WANT THEM TO BE STORED IN YOUR OWN DATABASE. THIS IS ABOUT TURNING INFORMATION INTO DATA.

Once you have finished this stage of development successfully, you have a tool which allows any user of that database document turning data into information easily. But there is a steep hill of development to climb before you can use the database.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: How do I import an OO spreadsheet into an OO DB?

Post by Villeroy »

The development process of a relational database from sheet data starts like this:

Are your sheet data normalized or did you maintain contingency tables? A database requires normalized tables.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office ... escription

Are there repetetive values which you want to be dissolved by relations? Do you have implicit relations between sheet tables (lookup columns)? Are these relations consistent?
Which data type of your target database is suitable for which spreadsheet column? Is the spreadsheet column consistent in respect to the data type?
Where are all the inconsistencies in your spreadsheets?

A set of spreadsheet formulas which can help you to develop the right database structure: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29046&p=501061#p501061
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice