[Solved] Portable setup

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
gkick

[Solved] Portable setup

Post by gkick »

Hi folks,

Not exactly external data source related...

I read in a post that one can have a complete portable installation of a db on either a stick or external harddisk etc.
Anyone having a setup like this?
I have a portable version of Java and LO, what is the procedure for firing up a db?
Does the stick need to be bootable? If one runs LO from the stick will it be a problem if LO also exists on the c drive?
Will it be sufficient to place the extracted Java and LO in a folder on the stick or do I need some additional config files ?

Thanks
Last edited by gkick on Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Libre Office 6.4.6 on Windows 10 HSQL 2.51 backend
sasa

Re: Portable setup

Post by sasa »

Hi,
Im using portable instalation on internal hard disk (restricted permission, sharky IT...) so my setup is not 100% portable. This is only for start.

For portable instalation on USB stick (Windows) you can use PortableApps.
You can find all apps here, eg. Libreoffice, Java - install and update.

To install eg. Firebird server download zip file (32 or 64 bit) from here. For database managment you can use SQL Workbench/J or similar Java tool.

Start database server and managment tool with bat file. For relative path in BAT script read this.

In LibreOffice before you can use a JDBC driver, you need to add its class path. Choose Tools - Options - LibreOffice- Java, and click the Class Path button. After you add the path information, restart LibreOffice.

Best
LibreOffice 6.3 on Xubuntu 18.04
gkick

Re: Portable setup

Post by gkick »

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Also was thinking of portable installation on internal hard disk. In your environment any noticeable degradation in performance compared to standard setup?

cheers

GK
Libre Office 6.4.6 on Windows 10 HSQL 2.51 backend
sasa

Re: [Solved] Portable setup

Post by sasa »

Hi,
In your environment any noticeable degradation in performance compared to standard setup?
I found no noticeable difference in performance.
Best
LibreOffice 6.3 on Xubuntu 18.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Portable setup

Post by Villeroy »

sasa wrote:Hi,
In your environment any noticeable degradation in performance compared to standard setup?
I found no noticeable difference in performance.
Best
Where does a portable office suite store its temporary files? Any embedded database is installed to a temporary directory. Database programs writing to USB sticks sounds like a bad idea because these drives have limited read-write cycles.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice