Entering records

Creating and using forms
doggod42

Entering records

Post by doggod42 »

Please redirect me if this is the wrong place to ask this. I'm obviously a newbie completely at sea.
I created a table in design view, naming all the fields and giving them properties, and I saved it.
But how do I go about entering data into these fields now?
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Entering records

Post by Villeroy »

Add another field of integer type and set property "AutoValue". This will serve as a primary key, kind of unique row number. Base needs a primary key to distinguish a row from all the other rows and make it editable.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
doggod42

Post by doggod42 »

Actually, the system did this automatically when I clicked Save. Still no clue as to how to start adding records to make an actual database.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Right click on your table name and select Edit to open the table in the Edit mode.
Select the ID field the system added and look near the bottom of the window at the Auto Value property. Make sure it is set to Yes. Close the table and if prompted Save the changes.
Double clicking on the table name will open the table allowing you to type data into your fields. The ID field will automatically fill in a value when you complete a line of data and move to the next line. There are limitations to direct data entry that can be overcome by creating a Form. Forms have more flexibility and offer controls that aren't available in the direct data entry mode.
There is a Wizard to Create Form that allows you to design simple forms which is a good starting place.
I normally start with the Wizard and then for more complex forms I edit that form.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
doggod42

Post by doggod42 »

Thank you so much! All that worked.
Now I seem to have encountered another problem, however: when I enter a record, I get an alert box telling me "Out of Memory", which makes no sense at all since the Windows (10) resource monitor is telling me I'm only using 69% of memory. Any ideas about this?
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

That is a Windows issue/message. According to your signature you are using Windows XP, so look at
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... mber-of-pr
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
doggod42

Post by doggod42 »

I don't know about my signature, but I haven't run XP for a couple of years. Running Win10. Should I post this in a different forum?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Perhaps you could consider updating your signature to your current software; this will enable us to better provide information..

The message is from Windows however. Try this web search which returns a number of results that may help.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
doggod42

Post by doggod42 »

Thanks for all the help, and I think the signature thing is fixed now. But the Out of Memory thing persists even after following the regedit routine recommended. Dunno.