Newbi out of his depth

Creating and using forms
Matternmatt

Newbi out of his depth

Post by Matternmatt »

Hello, I am new to base and I'm not really tech base. I need to figure out how to do this and reading other posts I just cant put it together. I am hopeing someone can help me through this.
I also want to thank everyone who posts how to's and guides. Your knowledge is extremely helpful to those of us trying to figure it out.

I am trying to build a database in aoo I need to be able to log new clients 2) track services ie...what level and when 3) easily access client specific I fornation.
I have barcode to PC ( an open source program) that I would like to use to access each clients information.
I know it can be done, I'm sure I'm out of my element but I'm willing g to learn and I cant afford to hire someone so....
If you can help,know of a tutorial or how to. I would greatly appreciate a link or address. I have a soft deadline of 2/14/19. Today is 1/1/19.... Hapoy News Years.

Thanks is advance,
Btw, I using AOO 4.1.6 o. Windows 7 64 bit
Openoffice 4.1.6 windows 7 64 bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Newbi out of his depth

Post by Villeroy »

This is too ambitious for a newbee.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

While I agree with Villeroy that this is a very (too?) ambitious project for a newbee, you might find this article by the late (and much missed) Solveig Haugland of assistance,

http://freesoftwaremagazine.com/article ... _with_ooo/

Any form of database for commercial application will need much consideration and effort: you should ask yourself "Am I a database developer or is my main job doing <whatever it is that you do>?" Often it will be best to acquire a commercial product, even if not the latest version - in my business days I used an old version of Quickbooks (bought second-hand for a few £) which did what I wanted.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Matternmatt

Post by Matternmatt »

Perhaps your right, but I have accomplished alot through how tos and guides.I was just hopeing someone could point me in the right direction. I have and will continue to look for something like an old copy of quick books but until I find something I'm going to try and make this work.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Read the above article for a simple start.

Search for
Base Tutorial:
From Newbie to Advocate in a one, two... three! by Mario Casanova for more detailed information.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Matternmatt

Post by Matternmatt »

Will do. Thank you