[Solved] Pattern Field for variable text length

Creating and using forms
Maax555

[Solved] Pattern Field for variable text length

Post by Maax555 »

Hi, is there a way to use a pattern field for text entry that is variable length. For example in a name field where the entry could be "John", Joe" or Jonathan" for example?
I simply want to ensure all text entered into a field is upper case only. The actual text entered could be a combination of letter and numbers, for example "1234567/A", "ABCDEF/1" or "ABCD123/A1"

thanks
Last edited by robleyd on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
Regards Maax
LibreOffice 6.1.4.2 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Pattern Field for variable text length

Post by Villeroy »

Do you have a set with all possible strings?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Maax555

Post by Maax555 »

Hi, not sure i follow "Do you have a set with all possible strings?" The data entered could be anything from 5 characters to 30 in any combination of letters or numbers.
Regards Maax
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If you had a few thousands of these IDs in a table, you could fill a list box with them and choose one by typing into the list box.
With HSQL you can use a field of type VARCHAR_IGNORECASE(length) where upper/lower case makes no difference.
In a query, UPPER("field name") represents the upper case version of the string.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Maax555

Post by Maax555 »

Ah ok, no then. The user will enter the data which will then be saved. The main reason for doing this to be honest is to avoid entering duplicates. I had already used index design to specify unique field but it was allowing the same text if any of the characters were in a different case. So I already had PartNumber Part123/A in the data base it was also allowing an upper/lowercase variation like part123/A or Part123/a.
Regards Maax
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Simply change the column type from VARCHAR to VARCHAR_IGNORECASE and add an unique index on that column. Now you can not enter any duplicates, no matter if they are upper, lower or mixed case.
Maax555

Post by Maax555 »

Villeroy wrote:Simply change the column type from VARCHAR to VARCHAR_IGNORECASE and add an unique index on that column. Now you can not enter any duplicates, no matter if they are upper, lower or mixed case.
OMG. I did not even see that field type. I looked through the field types several times over trying to find this and missed it several time.

many thanks as this has been a major headache for me.
Regards Maax