Read-Only Forms

Creating and using forms
dglp

Read-Only Forms

Post by dglp »

Why is that, when I open a form in my newly-created database, it comes up as Read-Only? I want to add data to existing entries - but cannot figure out how to get write permission.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Read-Only Forms

Post by DrewJensen »

You have write permission - to the data in the controls - what you is read only is the layout of the form.

It makes sense when you think about it, you open a form for editing via the context menu in the main Base window. You can arrange controls, link them to data sources and the like.

When you open the form for data entry however, the controls locations should be locked ( read only ).

Now, if that 'read only' string on the window bar just wasn't there by default...because it causes a great deal of misunderstanding - in other words, you are far from alone...

Good luck with you Base project

Drew
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
dglp

Post by dglp »

Drew, thank you for the explanation. It makes perfect sense. But it raises another question: what do I have to do to enter new data in an existing record? I thought I would be able to do it through the form - but each time I select a field and start typing, nothing happens. So I still think I haven't got write permissions. I can go back to my original spreadsheet to add information - but if I'm going to do that, there's no point in using a form.

BTW, I'm using version 2.3, and have connected to a password-protected spreadsheet.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

oh well - different story.

In Base a connection to a spreadsheet as a datasource is read only.

Drew
dglp

Post by dglp »

That's an important and not immediately-evident bit of information. With the effect of sending me back to MS Access to import my spreadsheet into a database.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

You can import your database into a Base database also,without the forums or queries, but the tables will do it. Then create your form to update the tables, create a link from the table to the spreadsheet and voila...well, kind of anyway..