[Solved] Saving Records

Creating and using forms
fujipops

[Solved] Saving Records

Post by fujipops »

I am new to Base and watched several videos on how to make a table and forms, which I have done. After entering info into the form fields, what do I do next?

Would someone please explain the "Next Record, New Record, and Save Record" buttons at the bottom of the form and when and which one to use. I have not found any videos or info on this. I am running OpenOffice 4 on Mac OS 10.12.6.

Appreciate any help. Thank you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice4 on Mac OS 10.12.6
MTP
Volunteer

Re: Saving Records

Post by MTP »

If you go to a different record, all the changes you made to the previous record will automatically be saved. If you 'save record', the changes will be saved without you having to change which record row you are on.

Next record just goes to the next row in the table your form is based on. If you have sorted by alphabetically, it goes to the next one in alphabetical order, if you have them sorted by ID number it goes to the next one in number sequence, if you haven't done a sort which one it goes to next might or might not make sense.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
fujipops

Post by fujipops »

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean by the "next record row you are in."

Here is my project: I made a table for "Church Information" with all the fields, e.g., Church Name, Address, Phone, Pastor's Name, Email, etc.

Once I fill in all the fields with the info on the form, I want to bring up a new form to enter information for a different church. What do I do next?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

All the information that you enter on a single form is known as a record (). So to add a new one, try the New Record option.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
fujipops

Post by fujipops »

Thank you! I was able to sort it out!