[Solved] Question about linked forms

Creating and using forms
IHaveNoName

[Solved] Question about linked forms

Post by IHaveNoName »

I have a simple database with two main forms: One is for customers at our business, and the other is for invidual jobs. They're linked, since each customer can have many jobs, and the Jobs Form has a dropdown menu where I can choose the customer name. That part works fine, but I have a question. If I fill out a customer form, I have to close the form before that customer's name appears on the dropdown menu in the Jobs form. Is that how it's supposed to work? I mean, I've tried saving after making a new record, clicking New Record, and simply skipping to the next one, but it only works if I actually close it.
Last edited by IHaveNoName on Sun May 21, 2017 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 7
charlie.it
Volunteer

Re: Question about linked forms

Post by charlie.it »

Ciao, did you try with a button with the property Action set to Refresh form ?
charlie
Italian AOO Admin
macOS 14 Sonoma M1: Open Office 4.1.15 - LibreOffice 7.5.7.1

http://www.charlieopenoffice.altervista.org
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The navigation toolbar has 2 refresh buttons. One for the whole form and another for the currently focussed list box or combo box.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

If I fill out a customer form, I have to close the form before that customer's name appears on the dropdown menu in the Jobs form. Is that how it's supposed to work?
If the Job Info form is already open when you add a new entry in your Customer Info table, the Job Info form is not aware of the changes to the Customer Info table. As Villeroy pointed out the Refresh Control button on the Navigation toolbar tells the form to reload the data from the Customer Info table.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I forgot to mention that the Refresh Control button will only work if the list box control has the focus.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
IHaveNoName

Post by IHaveNoName »

Aha! I got it now. Thanks a bunch - I just hope I can remember to do that when I'm working on it. :P
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 7
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Question about linked forms

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I just hope I can remember to do that when I'm working on it.
You can easily add a Label control to your form that would contain a reminder.
robleyd

Re: [Solved] Question about linked forms

Post by robleyd »

Or the low tech approach - a post-it note on the monitor :D
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers