[Solved] Event triggers for text control?

Creating and using forms

[Solved] Event triggers for text control?

Postby owlbrudder » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:23 am

On a form I can add controls and they all have associated events which can trigger macros. The only type of control not having events seem to be those associated with a table - at least, the form has an associated table it can scroll through and controls on the form are tied to fields in the table. Is this right, or am I misunderstanding something?

To explain further: I would like to raise a visual flag if a certain value appears in a control as the user scrolls through the records and I was going to use control events for this, but there don't seem to be any events.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by owlbrudder on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice Version: 5.3.3.0
Fedora 26 Linux x86_64
Core i7, 8Gb
owlbrudder

Re: Event triggers for text control?

Postby Villeroy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:48 am

A table control on a form is a bundle of controls. Each column represents one control of any type. See column properties. There is no formatting for individual rows nor columns and no macro can add this missing feature. The best you can get without macros is a formatted field with conditional number format. Formatted fields are very much like numeric spreadsheet cells with the same number format attributes, e.g. red font color for negative numbers: #,##0.00;[RED]-#,##0.00
Reports can do more if you use the report builder extension or if you use Calc for database reports.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby owlbrudder » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:54 am

Thanks for the quick response. I have found I can manully add a text control (for example) and set its datasource as a field of the form's recordset and this control retains all its events, so I have a work-around for when I need it.
Cheers,
Doug
Fedora 26 Linux x86_64
Core i7, 8Gb
owlbrudder

Postby Villeroy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:45 pm

You can also hide and unhide form controls.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby F3K Total » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Hello,
find attached another approach, using a query to find the event and display the information in a textcontrol having the same backgroundcolor as the form itself. An information will appear, if the NUMBER is less than -50.
Attachments
TriggerEvent.odb
(16.9 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
    MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
    my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO
F3K Total
Volunteer

Postby owlbrudder » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:41 am

Villeroy wrote:hide and unhide form controls.
Good - I was counting on that for when I use a manually-created data control. I would have the standard control invisible and my control over the top of it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Fedora 26 Linux x86_64
Core i7, 8Gb
owlbrudder

Postby owlbrudder » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:45 am

F3K Total wrote:find attached another approach
Thanks - that is very kind of you. I will study your technique as it sounds like a simplification of what I was planning to do.

... Later ...

F3K Total, solving the problem through SQL is a neat alternative. Now I can use either method depending on the circumstances. Thank you again. :D
Fedora 26 Linux x86_64
Core i7, 8Gb
owlbrudder

Re: [Solved] Event triggers for text control?

Postby F3K Total » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Hello,
find attached a combination of Villeroys idea and a query, using a number in a formatted field of a grid control to display a colored text. Looks like this:
C.PNG
C.PNG (7.94 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
The query gives back 0 or 1, and the field is formatted like this:
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
[<=0][RED]"ATTENTION, less than -50!!!";[>0][BLACK];General
Attachments
TriggerEvent2.odb
(17.91 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
    MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
    my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO
F3K Total
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Event triggers for text control?

Postby owlbrudder » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:38 am

F3K Total wrote:The query gives back 0 or 1, and the field is formatted like this:
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
[<=0][RED]"ATTENTION, less than -50!!!";[>0][BLACK];General
Yes, that is a good solution for a grid or list fed by a query rather than directly by a table.

I expect there are other ways to approach this as well, so I have some more study to do. Many thanks for taking the time to help.
Cheers,
Doug
Fedora 26 Linux x86_64
Core i7, 8Gb
owlbrudder

Return to Forms