[Solved] Form Field Labels disappear - Cannot restore

Creating and using forms
3dimages

[Solved] Form Field Labels disappear - Cannot restore

Post by 3dimages »

In Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 7: I am a beginner with Base trying to customize a Wizard-created form for entering and viewing data. The data base is one I created in Base for an inventory of my Audio and Video Tapes, DVDs, BluRays, Laser Disks, etc. Many years ago I used the Borland “Paradox for Windows” successfully to create a similar database and its reports. Now, In Base, via the Wizard for creating the form, I have chosen the form layout that positions the field labels above the field data entry box, which I much prefer to the other arrangements. I figured out how to get to the Design Mode for the form and how to bring up the control window (“Properties: Multiselection”) for a field on the form.

By altering the parameters in the controls (“Properties: Multiselection”) window, I was able to change field widths and x-position without any trouble. But if I accidentally increased the height, or attempted on purpose to move a field with its label to a higher position on the page (“Y” position), I lost the label and could not get it back.

I tried using the interactive (drag-and-drop) feature to move a field with its label to a higher row position, but the snap feature would not allow me to align the field correctly with other fields in the higher row – it would snap the field to a slightly higher or slightly lower position, but not to the in-between position necessary for proper alignment. When I tried to tweak the adjustment in the “Properties: Multilselction” window, I lost the label again.

MY QUESTIONS:
1. If I use the drag-and-drop feature to move the field and its label, how can I get the “Snap” feature to work correctly without losing the label?
2. If I use the “Properties: Multiselection” parameters to move the field and I lose the label, how can I get it back ? And can I get it back without losing the connection of the form field to the proper field in the data base?

Any enlightenment you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Observation: Managing the labels needs better documentation – in the “Properties: Multiselection” window, for example, there is no way of telling, except by laborious trial and error, whether a given parameter applies to the field entry box or to the label for the box or to both. There are other field label problems in the documentation of the forms layout beyond the scope of my Questions here – I hope they are being addressed by the writers of the new documentation in progress!
Thank you for your help!

Cordially, Oliver Dean
Last edited by 3dimages on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 7
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Form Field Labels disappear - cannot restore.

Post by UnklDonald418 »

1)It sounds like you may have covered up the field label and now its stuck behind the field box.
In the Design Mode right click on the field box and select Group → Ungroup. If there is no Ungroup option then skip to item 2 below, otherwise Click the left mouse button somewhere else on the form and click again on the field box. Now drag it somewhere else and the label should now be revealed. You can then drag it to a position where it will be visible and drag the field display box back to its original position. Now select both the field box and label then right click and select Group->Group to lock them into relative positions.
2) If you find that instead the label has somehow been erased you can always create a new label field using the Form Controls Menu. That control is probably marked ABC. Create a label box where you want it to appear. Then double click on the label field to bring up the properties window where you can edit the name. Now select both the field box and label then right click and select Group->Group to lock them into relative positions.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
3dimages

Re: Form Field Labels disappear - cannot restore.SOLVED

Post by 3dimages »

Many Thanks! The moves I made of a grouped Label and Field Box apparently did not move the label the same distance as the Field Box, and the Filed Box ended up covering the label. as you predicted. (This might be a bug needing to be addressed by the development group.) Also, thank you for the complete and articulate instructions for correcting the problem. Now I can proceed with my project! PROBLEM SOLVED
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 7