Multiline with formatting

Creating and using forms
jed7@cox.net

Multiline with formatting

Post by jed7@cox.net »

Office 4.1.1 on Windows 7 professional. I am puzzled. :?: I have a table with a memo field. I create a form with a text box and bind it to the memo field. I get, as one might expect, one long line of text. I change text control to multiline with formatting adding scroll bars, as described in the tutorials, and get beautifully formatted text (text is cut/pasted into the text box - not from table); however, I cannot bind it to the table memo field. The entire data tab disappears. The data type appears to change. The only other data type that might be appropriate is binary but how do I display it? If I drop the formatting requirement (change it to multiline) all is well except I lose the formatting (also the scroll bars). I fear I am missing something basic here. :crazy: Can someone point me in the right direction?
Open Office 4.1.0 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Multiline with formatting

Post by Villeroy »

I think, "formatted multi-line" is broken, unfinished, not really implemented, unsable.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MTP
Volunteer

Post by MTP »

I've used the plain "multiline" option on several of my forms for years without problems. It may be the "with formatting" option is only intended for non-database applications, and the database linkage is only compatible with the plain "multiline".
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
jed7@cox.net

Post by jed7@cox.net »

for MTP: I agree with you. After thinking about the question it occurred to me that multiline with formatting probably is intended for placing a significant amount of text on a form when a label control is not practical. Something like instructions. A little better documentation couldn't hurt. I could volunteer; however, to write good documentation requires an in depth understanding of the software and its intended purpose. Obviously, that lets me out!

Thanks for your help.
jd
Open Office 4.1.0 on Windows 7