Syncronizing two table controls

Creating and using forms
Yann

Syncronizing two table controls

Post by Yann »

I'm having my results displaying in a two columns grid, and since we cannot change the font attributes of just one of the columns - i.e : make the NAME column bold and the DESCRIPTION column in smaller font, I made two separate grids "glued" to each other, each with its different font attributes...
But of course when I scroll down the NAME column, the column in the other grid doesn't follow..
OpenOffice 4.4.1 on Windows 8
MTP
Volunteer

Re: Syncronizing two table controls

Post by MTP »

As far as I am aware, there is no way to synchronize scrolling of two tables. You could possible make the same row be "selected" (green arrow next to it) in both tables by a macro, but that would still not line them up since one could have a selection of a row near the top and the other could have its selection row near the bottom.

You can make two columns in the same table different colors by using formatted fields with format codes. There are only six colors to choose from, unfortunately, but at least that is a visual difference. See the OpenOffice Help file "Format codes" for information on how to do this.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
Yann

Post by Yann »

That works nicely, I wasn't aware at all of these features
Do you know of other formatting codes for the fonts, like bold, font size, etc..? haven't seen any in the documentation
OpenOffice 4.4.1 on Windows 8
MTP
Volunteer

Post by MTP »

As far as I am aware, there are no format codes for font style, font size, or font effects (e.g. bold). The colors are the only thing I'm aware of that is useful for text. Unfortunately it's been difficult to attract developers to volunteer to improve Base and a lot of "would-be-nice" features require convoluted workarounds or are completely absent from the software.

One option you might consider is creating a standalone form in Calc. You could import the query for the subform "Products" into Calc ([Tutorial] Using registered datasources in Calc) and display the results in Calc cells, which can then be formatted however you want. It would be more work, with re-setting up the form in Calc instead of Writer and writing a macro to update the import range when the search criteria is changed, but if the formatting is really important for your use that would give you more options.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database