Populating a text box with data

Creating and using forms
bushrat

Populating a text box with data

Post by bushrat »

I have created a form that contains a subform. The main form is linked to the Sales table, the sub form is linked to the SalesItem table.

I want the user to enter the customer number, this number will be used to run a query on the Customer table to get the customer name, address etc.

The data will be displayed in a text box on the form.

can anyone help? Thanks in advance. :?
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8
MTP
Volunteer

Re: populating a text box with data

Post by MTP »

This is a somewhat advanced maneuver in Base (Base is very powerful, but unfortunately also very user un-friendly). There's a thorough explanation in this thread, where the part titled "List Box filter with 'refresh' Push-Button (without macros)" covers the method that it sounds like you want:
[Example #1] Filter/Search with Forms (leveraging SubForms)

It's fairly quick to set up once you understand the method, it just takes a while to wrap one's head around the setup requirements. I'd suggest doing some reading/digesting of the tutorial thread (the one I linked to), and later on if you need some extra help post your database (or a sample copy with any sensitive information removed) and one of us would probably mock up a sample with your data for you to examine.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
bushrat

Re: Populating a text box with data

Post by bushrat »

thanks, but Base is just proving too hard to use. Very sad but I don't have time to trawl through hours of literature just to find a solution to a simple problem like automaticly entering a date, or accessing data from more than 2 tables. :crazy:

thanks for your reply.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8