No option to create form

Creating and using forms
Lighthope

No option to create form

Post by Lighthope »

Very new to OpenOffice Base.

Created very simple table to test it out.

No option to create form. Both options are greyed out.

What's the secret?
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
MTP
Volunteer

Re: No option to create form

Post by MTP »

That's strange. You might try restarting your computer to see if that clears out whatever is causing the read-only behavior.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If that doesn't work, you could try resetting your user profile, as described here
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Lighthope

Post by Lighthope »

Neither of the above resolved the problem.

Even when I create the most simple of tables (FirstName, LastName, Index), and I am unable to create a form.

For reference, here are the steps I took. Perhaps I am missing one.

Create New Database
Yes, register the database and Open the Database are selected
Database is named Test
Clicked Create Table in Design View
The following Table was made:

Index (made primary key), Decimal
FirstName, Text
LastName, Text
Saved as TestTable

TestTable is now listed under Tables

Clicked on Form, and no option to create a form is available.
MTP
Volunteer

Post by MTP »

I have a Base file that is reference by other OpenOffice files over my work network. If one of my coworkers opens one of the linked files ("standalone forms") and then, while they still have that file open, I open my Base file, the create form options (as well as the create query options) will be greyed out as you describe. I have to wait until all my coworkers close all the linked files, then close and reopen my Base file to be able to edit forms or queries again.

With you making a brand new file, obviously other people having linked files open isn't the problem and something else is making it open in read-only mode (read-only for everything Base does - forms, queries, reports - the tables are handled by a separate program called HyperSQL database). I'm puzzled.

Maybe try downloading one of the example databases from the forums (Database examples) and see if you can edit and create new forms in those files?
Lighthope

Post by Lighthope »

MTP wrote:Maybe try downloading one of the example databases from the forums (Database examples) and see if you can edit and create new forms in those files?
I downloaded one of the examples. I see the forms that were already created.

However, I am still unable to create a new form. Those options continue to be greyed out.
bydindi

Post by bydindi »

do you have a full installation of the suite openoffice? (Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Base) make sure you have everything installed
OOo 4.1.1 on windows Vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is Java installed and selected?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Lighthope

Post by Lighthope »

bydindi wrote:do you have a full installation of the suite openoffice? (Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Base) make sure you have everything installed
No, I do not have the entire thing installed. I installed Calc and Base only. I have no use for the others. Can't see why I would have to install the other components, but I will give it a try.
Is Java installed and selected?
It's installed. I don't know what you mean by "selected". Considering that everything else seems to work, I would believe that Java is up and running correctly.

I've also noticed that Reports is also greyed out. I can not create any reports as well. Are the problems connected?
MTP
Volunteer

Post by MTP »

To select a Java, go to Tools->Options and click on "Java". The window on the right-hand side of the screen will populate with any 32-bit Java installations on your computer (OpenOffice can't see 64-bit Java installations). It may take a minute to populate. If something shows up in the window, click on the radio button to the left of one of the names (if there is more than one, pick the one with the biggest number/newest version). The radio button will fill in (you have to actually click the circle to the left of the name - clicking on the name highlights it but doesn't officially "select" anything). Then just hit OK to close the options window.

If nothing shows up in the Java window, that means you don't have a 32-bit Java installed.
Lighthope

Post by Lighthope »

MTP wrote:To select a Java, go to Tools->Options and click on "Java". The window on the right-hand side of the screen will populate with any 32-bit Java installations on your compute
I checked and Java is installed and recognized by OpenOffice.
bydindi

Post by bydindi »

Lighthope wrote:No, I do not have the entire thing installed.
The forms (though used with base) are created with writer

Paolo
Lighthope

Post by Lighthope »

bydindi wrote:
Lighthope wrote:No, I do not have the entire thing installed.
The forms (though used with base) are created with writer
Installing Writer solved the problem.

So this just begs the question: Why didn't OpenOffice install the necessary Writer modules when installing Base? There is nothing in the installation process which tells the user that Writer is required with Base.
bydindi

Post by bydindi »

Lighthope wrote:So this just begs the question: Why didn't OpenOffice install the necessary Writer modules ........
I honestly do not remember if at installation time there was the possibility to choose which modules to install.
I remember reading somewhere that was a problem for some "not genuine" installations.
You've downloaded the suite from the site https://www.openoffice.org/?
However the important thing is that you have [Solved] :super:

Paolo
Lighthope

Post by Lighthope »

bydindi wrote:
Lighthope wrote:So this just begs the question: Why didn't OpenOffice install the necessary Writer modules ........
I honestly do not remember if at installation time there was the possibility to choose which modules to install.
I remember reading somewhere that was a problem for some "not genuine" installations.
You've downloaded the suite from the site https://www.openoffice.org/?
I did download it from openoffice.org.

There is an option during installation to select which components of OpenOffice you want to install. Base, Writer, etc. There is nothing there that says that if you choose Base, you must also select Writer.
MTP
Volunteer

Post by MTP »

I agree this is an issue. To play devil's advocate, the dev thinking may have been that only the more advanced users choose the "custom" installation where there is the option to only install some components, and advanced users may be expected to know that any OpenOffice component can be a Base form (Calc is a popular second to Writer, although it's technically possible with Impress or Math, too - see [Tutorial] Standalone Forms / Switchboard) and install the component they intend to use.

It would be nice to have some more up-front guidance; unfortunately with a free, volunteer-programmed project like OpenOffice many of the "would be nice for a specific subset of users" things get skipped over.
mathias_ubik

Post by mathias_ubik »

I encountered the same problem.

Initially I installed OO 4.1.2 french version (Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.2_Win_x86_install_fr.exe) with personalized options:
  • change installation directory
  • just the module I need i.e. Base
Form creation was greyed out.
I wondered if this problem could be related to the Languages Settings.
So I tried to change the language of the user interface, which is not possible. :? You can choose between the default and the default :D
Then I uninstalled OO and reinstalled it with english version (Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.2_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe) choosing "standard installation".
And then form (and report) creation became available.
How could I guess that the form creation relies on Writer ?
In MS-Office I do not need Word to create a form in Access.

My goal is to migrate some apps from MS-Access to OO but for now I'm not able to modify data in the connected .accdb file.
I can create tables (with primary keys ;) ) but I'm not able to add records to those tables.
Is it due to some insider installation options :?: :!:

My enthusiasm to OO is melting ...
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The Base component alone is pointless. Everything is based on ODF documents, mainly text and spreadsheet documents. The entire suite is about nothing but documents. Database connectivity is just an extra feature to enable dynamic document content and documents with useful form controls. This is far away from being a database development suite. You should not even create any new database with Base even though it is possible [*]. Instead you should reuse your existing databases so you can use them with office documents.

*: At least you should not use "embedded Base databases" for productive purposes.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
mathias_ubik

Post by mathias_ubik »

Hi Vileroy,

Thanks for your clarification.
It shows that I misunderstood what OO is and that I am in the wrong place to find an alternative to MS-Access front end.
Knowing this will make me save time and energy and I will no longer pollute OO forum with inadequate questions.
Just one last request.
What product would you suggest as an alternative to MS-Access front end ?

Kind regards
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Well, with OpenOffice I can do the same as I used to do with MS Access. Many years ago I used MS Access as a frontend to MySQL after reading a lot of documentation and training with the embedded JET database engine.
Today I use HSQL, the small but feature complete Java engine shipped with OpenOffice. But I use it as a stand-alone database server for multiple clients in a multi-platform environment with this multi-platform office suite. Secondly I use Base for additions to our business software which still produces dBase files. From these dBase files I produce printed labels, serial letters and special aggregations dumped into spreadsheets.
As far as I know, there is not a single Access alternative on the market which produces self-contained one-file databases with embedded forms and reports. Base can produce something similar in simplified ways (the container is a simple zip archive) but this single-file solution will never be production ready. For demos, educational purpose and your private DVD collection it is just what you need. Since everything is very simple and HSQL is a separate product, you can also convert embedded databases to external ones within a few minutes.

If you are able to get a stand-alone database up and running (which seems to be a big problem for many Access users) then you should be able to use your database with OpenOffice, Access, web-server products or anything that can connect via ODBC or JDBC.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice