Automatic Program Conversion

Creating and using forms
gungadout

Automatic Program Conversion

Post by gungadout »

Hi Folks,

I have a number of screens in an environment someting like Visual Basic. (Displayed screens are generated from stored, accessible parameters and logic.)

I would lke to be able to covert these screen parameters programatically (automatically) into Base screens.

Do we have any idea of what the stored parameters that create the Base screen displays look like, and how to access them directly?

Has anyone done an exercise like this before?

(I have already successfully generated Visual Basic 2003 screens from screens in another environment, but gave up after VB2005 showed its incompatiblity, and history promised more incompatibility in the future. OpenOffice seems to promise greater stability.)

All advice is welcome.

Please also refer to my post Sending/Receiving Character Strings To/From TCP/IP Server.

Thanks,

Peter H.
gungadout

Re: Automatic Program Conversion

Post by gungadout »

Hi Folks,

My intention was to retain over 30 complex programs in their native database environment, as opposed to re-program them in another language. I was looking for a way to automatically convert the front ends to Base forms. (Base has a nicer presentation.)

The lack of response seems to indicate that there is no way to generate OpenOffice forms programatically – unlike VB etc., everything has to be done by hand.

I deem it a pity, because I appreciate the effort that has gone into developing OpenOffice, I really like Writer and Calc, and I was hoping to find what I needed within the OpenOffice suite.

Regards,

Peter H.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Automatic Program Conversion

Post by DrewJensen »

gungadout wrote:Hi Folks,

The lack of response seems to indicate that there is no way to generate OpenOffice forms programatically – unlike VB etc., everything has to be done by hand.

Peter H.
Hi Peter,

Not sure I would try to compare the features of a software development environment to a office document suite - it is really is apples and oranges isn't it.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04